PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Going Haywire

DIESELMAX403
11-08-2006, 11:55
My odometer appears to be on the way out. After about 20-30 minutes of driving, the speedometer begins to jump in small increments during acceleration and eventually starts reading incorrectly. Sometimes it stays on zero and other times it starts moving but stops even though I continue to accelerate. The next morning after the inital start, it works properly, but after it warms up, it goes haywire again.

I have read alot of threads on speedometers, but nothing matched my symptons exactly.
Has anybody experienced these same symptons and if so what was the fix.

Thanks

Dieselmax403

paoutdoorsman
11-08-2006, 15:31
I havn't experienced this, but just to rule out a poor connection, I would remove the cluster and clean the contact points with an alchohol pad. You may want to add a very light coating of di-electric grease to the cleaned contacts.

Dana

cwood
11-08-2006, 17:00
I had the same problem with my 04. dealer said they had been having some problems with them and replaced mine for free it was still under warranty but, I think since it was a common problem they might replace it even if not under warranty.

chadc30
11-08-2006, 20:26
Same problem with my 2004, had to twist stealers arm to replace under warranty. Entire cluster was replaced. Two friends at work with same problem. Theirs are 2003, 2005 duramax crew cabs

Robert Wynkoop
01-10-2007, 23:40
I had the same problem with my speedo also. It would jump and at one point stayed at 20, while doing 60.

The dealer replaced the cluster under warranty.

dannomatt
03-13-2011, 21:41
Getta load of this...
The gauges in my 2005 LLY started acting weird, commencing with the engine temp. The gauge began showing sudden 20-30 degree fluctuations. The needle would suddenly move wildly down-scale, and then back up. I had the thermostat(s) checked, and they worked fine. Then a week later, while C/Cd @ about 65 climbing a grade, I see my oil pressure drop to zero. A panic pull to the right shoulder, shut-down, and check of the dip-stick - fine. Oil drain plug in place - all seemed well. A call to Santa Paula Chevrolet, and a chat with Bill Edwards the Service Manager. He asks if I had also noticed my speedo needle bumping and sticking...Why, yes I have seen that. Thats the three gauges that typically go bad. The fix is replacement of the entire cluster. Mostly '03, '04, and a few 05s. The svc dept can run your VIN, and it may be a freebee if it's in a certain range of vehicles. They have to have the new one dialed in to your odometer reading.
Dan

tufcj
03-15-2011, 14:10
The instrument cluster warranty was extended on 2003-2004 trucks to 7years/70K miles. I know they were trying to get it extended to early 2005s, but don't know if that happened. My 2003 failed 3 times while within warranty, GM covered parts/install fully. It might not hurt to talk to your dealer.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30019

Bob
tufcj