PDA

View Full Version : CUCV 6.2 j serpentine upgrade

86M1008
11-09-2006, 16:33
Im considering going to a serpintine system
Ill need a later year waterpump(oppisite rotation) and backing plate with gaskets. Plus tensioner and power steering pully/pump, alternator pulley(s), fan pully, crank pully. I think ill need a later year thermastat houseing b/c of the clearence of the tensioner.Will i need the 6.5 timing chain cover with my mech IP? Also Id like to keep both of my alternators setup can i use the brakets already there or will i need 6.5 brakets my 6.2?Ill keep it witout ac. I think that should be it. Am i missing anything? How much would this upgrade cost in parts?

85-m1028
11-11-2006, 19:49
penninsular diesel sells a serpentine conversion kit, I think, check the advertisers section for contact info

DmaxMaverick
11-11-2006, 19:54
www.peninsulardiesel.com

Robyn
11-12-2006, 02:12
watch ebay.
I bought a complete setup with all the pulleys, brackets and accessories for $200 and I have it all including the water pump and the fan and clutch too as they revolve backward too.
You need all the brackets from the 6.5 and the Xover. watch what year stuff you get so your alternator and AC will be on the proper side.
Good luck
Robyn

86M1008
03-10-2007, 20:12
so im gonna get the dual alt brakets(ambulance package) from a 96+ 6.5 and dummy a/c pully braket and a 130 pump and plate but do i need a 88 harmonic balencer for my 6.2 or will the original 86 balencer work with the 98 crank pully? heard that the 6.5 balencer wont fiton the 6.2. im upgrading to serpentine on my 86 dual alt cucv. not sure but i should have a vacume pump on the ip not the belt driven right?thanks for any info and help. i called penninselar and was told to email them about my upgrade and they were of no help and didnt respond. so im going to gm-direct for parts.

RoverIIa
03-11-2007, 22:59
I did mine from a junkyard.

Here are the basics:

83 6.2 That I got tired of tightening belts on.

The Junkyard Supplied for $350.00

'93 K3500:

-Alternator
-PS Pump
-AC Compressor
-Brackets
-Fan & Clutch & Pulley
-Tensioner
-Thermostat Cross Over

Napa Supplied:

New Balancer (the 83 worked with the newer pulley)
New Serp Belt
New Water Pump (I had to weld-in and re-drill the pump plate because I did not know it was different)
New PS Pressure hoses (not the same configuration)
New balancer pulley

You will need to re-wire the alternator (probably) because the plugs on the newer ones are different than the older. My new alternator was physically smaller and would not fit the same space as the old one. I'm not sure how duals affects it, I would imagine that one might take the place of the AC compressor. I had some issues with spacers and bolt hole alignment, but got it all to work alright. I took a lot of photos, and could probably post some up or e-mail them if you're interested.

Good luck! Have Fun.

-Nate

HammerWerf
03-11-2007, 23:48
Delphi and others make a pig tail conversion from the SI alternator (old Style) to the new CS ( New Style).

The newer CS alternator requires a resistor in the system. The Alt light on the dashboard fits that requirement.

Two different pigtails available. If you have just a guage, you'll need the tail with the built in resistor. Apparently, if you have an idiot light, it doesn't need the resistor in the pigtail.

From what I read, The corvette folks upgrading and increasing the electrical loads was large enough of a market for Delphi to design and manufacture the pigtails.

HammerWerf

86M1008
03-12-2007, 16:34
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/dualalt.htm heres the link showing a dual alt serpentine setup. i wanted to use this with my 86 6.2 100 amp alts but they wont fit the 6.5 brackets huh? Theres also a issue with using my old power steering pump? nothings ever easy. i was planning to use this setup except without a/c (a dummy pully bolts in its place) but now i got to get newer alts to make this work damn.Thanks any thing else to look for?

RoverIIa
03-14-2007, 19:04
I had another thought for you...

When you go to a serpentine belt, some of your accessories spin the opposite way. If you use your old ALTs, make sure they are still spinning the same way, I think the cooling fans may not work if they go the wrong way. It wouldn't take long to burn up one of the units in that case.

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2007, 20:02
I had another thought for you...

When you go to a serpentine belt, some of your accessories spin the opposite way. If you use your old ALTs, make sure they are still spinning the same way, I think the cooling fans may not work if they go the wrong way. It wouldn't take long to burn up one of the units in that case.

The only reverse parts are the water pump, fan clutch and fan. All others run standard, on the grooves of the belt.

86M1008
03-20-2007, 21:17
is it safe to run the 130 gpm waterpump with a single t-stat croosover? or is the older 110 gpm pump a better bet?

GSE2SCHMIDT
03-23-2007, 13:31
I am getting ready to put a zero mile 1999 bread truck engine in my 1995 suburban. This is what I noticed....

My waterpump is the screw on fan type, which everyone tells me is an HO pump, I have tried to look up part numbers and it is the same part number as the HO pumps, and there are no LO pumps with screw on fan......and this engine has the single thermostat.

I was going to leave the original crossover(99) on the new engine but when I go to put all my accessories(95) on the alternator bracket hits the van style crossover. I am told a dual stat will work fine, until I find one I will use the (95) crossover.

The power steering pump only has 2 hoses on it, and a remote fill tank. The vacuum pump is a blank(bearing and pulley and rough casting no vacuum pod) and the engine had no A/C so it had an idler pulley there.

also little annoying things like fuel leakoff tubing is different by the crossover.

I have all the van serpentine stuff (and the bolt on fan off the 95)and would be interested in a package deal/swap or if you need pictures, I am learning the hard way what fits and what doesn't.......