PDA

View Full Version : Had to replace Factory trailer connector plug

cowboywildbill
11-09-2006, 16:44
Well the good news is I found and fixed my fuse problem for my 12v Aux to trailer. Thanks in part to you guy's.
Then I went to tow my bumper pull flat bed and I had no trailer brakes or green indicator light on my Jordan controller. I have two Female connectors, the factory one by the hitch and an after market one in the left rear of the bed for the Gooseneck trailer plug.
I had to replace the factory plug, it had completley corroded the brake/blue wire pin out where the Metri-Pack connector joins the factory female trailer connector. It was so bad that both of the connectors ends were shot, both male and female pins gone. The truck is only 5 months old. Instead of spending a whole day at the dealer and arguing about warranty I just purchased an after market one for $6.00. I cut all of the factory wires and put on the new plug. The color codes that are shown on the all-data for 02 model have apparently changed for the 06 year. The 02 ground shows a white wire on the schematic but the 06 ground wire is black on the truck.
Anyone else had one of these go bad that quickly?

DmaxMaverick
11-09-2006, 18:35
Looks like you found the source of your blown fuse??

Anyway, I don't think it's common. I've seen several conditions like you describe over the years, spread out over several model years and it wasn't specific to any truck brand. Most of them were either eastern or coastal vehicles. It doesn't take much salt to cause this.

I don't know what would cause this in your case, but I've seen many with no explanation. I've been lucky, only having one of mine do this on an '83, when it was less than a year old. It spent it's entire time in interior CA before the problem.

The only explanation I can come up with is some type of galvanic contamination, and little/no protection. Radiators and electric home water heaters will do this in a very short period, if the conditions are right.

cowboywildbill
11-10-2006, 09:16
I think your right.I forgot to mention the area between the two connectors was full of some type of green water and the brake pins were coroded completley out. Looked like electrolosous "wow I blew the spelling on that" But it looked like what you get between aluminum and steel. It could be from car wash or pressure washer, although I don't do that much and when I do I try not to hit that kind of item.