PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E valve body??

dieseldummy
11-10-2006, 18:15
I recently tore the valve body off of my transmission to inspect a couple of things and found that the accumulator valve is scored slightly as is the gear selection valve. Everyone I talk to says they can't get parts, only a new valve body with new parts in it.

It shifted find before just not quite as crisp as it used to. I attributed that to some new-found power, but it seems that the valve body could be causing that. The bores in the body seem to be ok with no pits or scoring. If I could find parts to fix my origional VB I would much rather do that than spend $400 for a new one...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin

DA BIG ONE
11-10-2006, 20:22
http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/

dieseldummy
11-10-2006, 22:37
Thanks for the link. They don't show the valve I need the most, but I'll give them a shout.

Robyn
11-11-2006, 09:30
If the scores are not real nasty just polish the valve spool and the accumulator piston and the bores with some crocus cloth (REEEEEEALY fine emery) and make sure there are no burs, wash it up and stuff it back together and go. You might want to do a shift kit while you have the VB off the tranny.
Was there a lot of metal crud in the bottom of the pan??
There will always be some goopy sooty black stuff but there should not be loads of it or brite metal flakes.
If it basically clean do as above and install a new filter.
Now on the valve spool be sure and dont round over the lands on the valve. (The high spots need to stay sharp for the most part on the edges)
Let us know what happens.
Robyn

dieseldummy
11-11-2006, 10:00
They are not badly scored, just have some chips in the coating. The accumulator valve has 1 bad score in it. The only saving grace is that it isn't across the entire surface from edge to edge, just one edge to the middle. I installed a transgo kit many years ago, I just tore it down for inspection of o-rings and such to see how it's handeled so high temps. The pan is incredibly clean so no worries there.

Robyn
11-11-2006, 11:32
Just make sure there are no burs then and put the sucker back together and run it.
A return line filter from the cooler would be a good thing to pick up any crap coming back to the tranny. The oil goes from the converter to the cooler and then to the lube circuit and any crap coming back from the cooler goes in without being filtered.
Get one on it.

gmctd
11-11-2006, 15:25
Justin, if you're talking the accumulator piston is scored, check that 'score' closely - could be a hairline crack, which will leak down.

Depending on which side, that shift would be harsh from no accumulator action, or sloppy from no accumulator reaction.

dieseldummy
11-16-2006, 00:21
Well, I cleaned everything up and looked things over closely. It appears that the valves are coated with something over alluminum. Aside from the one "major" score the others look like chips in the coating, not deep scores in the valve its self. I'm going to re-install it all after I get a few new o-rings and see how things go. I have a line on a used valvebody so worst case I've got a spare. Might have to get the whole trans and build up a spare... if I keep it up I'll have a complete spare drivetrain laying around...:eek: Thanks for the input everyone!

Bob's 6.5TD
11-20-2006, 14:38
Sonnax makes an 4th accumulator bore sleeve & pinless accumulator piston kit. You can go to www.sonnax.com find a wealth of information. They will also send you a catalog free which has been a big help for me.