PDA

View Full Version : Longer glow cycle idea for hard starting 6.5s

Mark Rinker
11-10-2006, 19:26
My aging 6.5s are difficult to start when left off the block heat below 10 degrees. It is probably due to older injectors, uneven compression between cylinders, a few bad glow plugs, etc. even though most items are in good repair and have been gone through at least once.

Many of you have wired up manual switchs for added glow time. I like this idea, but have multiple plow operators in and out of the trucks, and I am concerned that someone may overheat the glow plugs and explode one inside the heads.

IDEA: What if I did the same mod, but wired it to the starter solenoid feed? This way, we would get the factory glow cycle, and extend it only by cranking time, which all operators know should immediately follow the dash light going out.

Workable? Comments from those with manual glow cycle switchs installed especially appreciated.

NH2112
11-10-2006, 20:23
Well, if you use AC60Gs you won't have a problem with long glows. I typically glow mine for about 10 seconds, or however long the seatbelt buzzer lasts, and on all but the coldest days it's enough. I was actually thinking of using the wire going to the buzzer to pull in my relay's coil, as a sort of poor man's glow controller.

My advice? Install 60Gs and manual switches, and change the plugs every year or 2.

Iain
11-13-2006, 07:26
You could always use the glow plug timer sold by Penisular Diesel. I have it on my truck and it is a simple controller that you can set the amount of glow time manually so that your operators will not screw them up.

There is a 3 way switch for on/off/manual glow. It comes in handy but in the wrong hands it could be abused. I have mine set up so that durin gthe summer months the glow timer is turned off and the factory controller runs the cycle times. During the colder winter months I turn on the Penisular glow timer and it runs in conjuction with the factory timer for the additional time needed for cold starts only.

Best of luck! Iain

JohnC
11-13-2006, 13:03
I agree, the newer plugs are unlikely to cause problems from extended glow time. On the other hand, I am always sceptical of wiring a circuit that is hot on its own to be also hot with the starter. If you're not careful, you can get the starter cranking when you don't want to, like when the engine is running...

Cowracer
11-14-2006, 09:03
RonnieJoe had a really elegant way to get longer glow.

I think its an article on the main page.

Tim

Cowracer
11-14-2006, 09:03
RonnieJoe had a really elegant way to get longer glow.

I think its an article on the main page.

Tim

16gaSxS
11-14-2006, 11:55
I have the SS Diesel Glow Plug over ride and it works well. A person can do the same with parts from local parts house, but I'm a kit kind of guy, I'll pay a few bucks for everything in kit form. When I start and the truck is cold I simply push the button after the glow light goes out. Go as long or short as desired.

Mark Rinker
11-14-2006, 16:27
I have been starting it cold every morning, and I swear its getting better glow time each day.

Do low batteries shorten glow cycles on trucks that sit around alot?

I am thinking a simple pushbutton on the dash should do the trick.

nedfunnell
11-19-2006, 00:02
On my '82 Sierra, the glow plug relay is on the driver's side of the engine bay, right on the sheet metal above the wheel. There are two thick wires and two thin wires going in. All you need to do is cut the two thin wires, and use butt connectors or solder to reconnect them, but with an extra wire in each. Then run the wires through the firewall, into the dash, and install a switch there to keep the glow plugs on.

I haven't done it myself, but I'm fairly competent in electronics. YMMV.

ronniejoe
11-19-2006, 10:41
I am thinking a simple pushbutton on the dash should do the trick.

Like this?: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/manualglow.htm

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-22-2006, 00:52
My dad put the upgraded glow plugs from SSDiesel into his '95 6.5. The difference between when he starts his truck cold and I start mine is very noticeable. If it's below 5 degrees, ( I think that's around 40 F. for you Americans) it will smoke substantially on startup. It's like having your own personal forest fire in your driveway.:( If it's plugged in then it starts like my dad's.