PDA

View Full Version : Brake rotor replacement?

StrangeEngine
11-11-2006, 19:05
So I need new front rotors. Are these the modern, held-on-by-the-lugs rotors that just come off easily or are they antique pressed-onto-the-hub rotors?

Contemplating doing it myself, of course.

Thanks.

- Mark

DmaxMaverick
11-11-2006, 19:20
The rotors slip right off.....Kinda.

You have to remove the calipers (just like always), but....The caliper bracket has to come off, too. About half the time, the bracket bolts are a real bear. Better have an impact wrench handy, or lots of time with some imagination to throw in. I had to do a bearing replacement while out of town, with only hand tools. No air/electric assistance. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they only be really, really tight.

StrangeEngine
11-11-2006, 20:05
The rotors slip right off.....Kinda.

Awesome.

You have to remove the calipers (just like always), but....The caliper bracket has to come off, too. About half the time, the bracket bolts are a real bear. Better have an impact wrench handy, or lots of time with some imagination to throw in. I had to do a bearing replacement while out of town, with only hand tools. No air/electric assistance. Maybe you'll get lucky, and they only be really, really tight.

Yeah, that's what I would expect. Easily the worst part of the job.

Thanks!

- Mark

cowboywildbill
11-13-2006, 11:36
Did our 02 and He is right, the caliper bracket bolts are the hardest part. I have a pretty good 1/2" impact wrench and it wouldn't break them loose. I ended up with a 1/2" breaker bar and a piece of pipe. I thought I was going to break the breaker bar at the swivel. A 3/4" impact or T handle and pipe would have done better.Although it can be a little tight getting on the bolts. Worst case and being very careful maybe a little heat would have worked, but I don't like to use heat unless all else fails. It isn't a bad job though. You will notice the axle nut cover on the hub when you pull the wheel off, It doesn't get removed on these hubs. I know on a lot of other trucks that all comes off in order to pull the rotors. But not on these. Just wanted to let you know, some people have taken the axel nut off by mistake, and then they had to buy a new nut because once it is removed it should be replaced with a new one. Good luck

DmaxMaverick
11-13-2006, 11:51
I too thought it would break my 18" breaker bar, so I didn't use it once I found out it took more than the handle to turn them. What I did (and I don't recommend it for all but the strongest nerved wrenchers) is this...I used Craftsman metric end wrenches (no China crap for this! Snapon would have as good/better). Positioned the wrench on the bolt and joined another larger end wrench with it (If you don't know how to do this, don't try it! Very dangerous if not done correctly). Jacked the truck up as high as I could, then rested the end of the wrenches on a heavy wood block. Lowered the weight of the truck onto the wrenches, nearly all the truck's front end weight, and waited. It took about 15 minutes for each bolt to "pop" loose. I used blocks under the frame and hub to absorb the shock of the weight once it popped (didn't have jack stands with me). Nerve racking to a degree, but it got the job done in less than ideal conditions. I used the same method for retightening them, so the torque should have been replaced pretty close. The wrenches, being Craftsman, will be replaced as soon as I can get to Sears. They are dinged pretty bad and slightly bent.

The things we will do for our trucks!

cowboywildbill
11-15-2006, 15:17
Boy I thought I was the only one to do that trick. I think they call that a West Va. extension wrench. "Ha Ha" Just a joke
I really like W.Va.don't anybody get mad! But it does work. Especially when you can't get a socket on something that extra length helps.
If I hadn't changed my brake pads on our 02 before I needed to, because I thought at 60,000 miles it must need them and I had them? But it didn't and I wouldn't have had to do the rotors a couple of months later because they warped from the new pads. I guess I should take my own advice if it ain't broke don't fix it. I will definitley wait until the pads are ready to be changed on our 06. Hoping 100,000 miles or so.

DmaxMaverick
11-15-2006, 16:03
Brake pads are still a mystery on my '01. 112K and they are less than 1/2 worn! I know I use them, so they must be wearing. The real mystery is, even though they haven't worn as much as they should have, the truck stops like no other truck I've driven before, with OEM brakes.

Absolutely! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Yup. If you don't properly burnish new pads, they can warp old (and new) rotors.