PDA

View Full Version : Drawtite Activator II controller

haunruh
11-12-2006, 19:41
Does anybody use the Drawtite Activator II on their DMax? I just bought a 2003 Chevy 2500HD DMax with this setup and haven't yet towed with it. I tow a 10,000# 5er and am wondering if this controller is any good or if I should upgrade to a Tekonsha?:confused:

DmaxMaverick
11-12-2006, 20:07
I use one, and I wouldn't consider Tekonsha an upgrade. Tekonsha makes good controllers, but the technologies between the two are different. The Tekonshas are inertial, and I don't care much for them. I prefer pedal input controllers, like the old KH, or Jordan. At the time I installed mine, there wasn't a pedal input option for me. The Activator series is timer based, and I like mine. Very predictible, unlike the inertial types. The Activator II is nice because of the options and real-time output display.

haunruh
11-13-2006, 13:33
Sounds good DMax. I'll see how it works. I've always had inertial controllers before this (over 30 years of towing) and have gotten very used to them. I guess I need to get with the times!!

More Power
11-13-2006, 15:00
The Member Archive includes an install article we did a few years ago for the [url=http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramem.htm]Draw-Tite Activator

DmaxMaverick
11-13-2006, 15:10
[quote=More Power]The Member Archive includes an install article we did a few years ago for the [URL="http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramem.htm"]Draw-Tite Activator

arveetek
11-18-2006, 13:31
I very strongly discourage the use of timed brake controllers. While a lot of inertia brake controllers don't work very well sometimes, the biggest problem with timed brake controls is the amount of braking available during a panic stop. I call timed brake controllers "idiot" controllers because they're completely unaware of their environment and conditions. Whether you're gently slowing down to a stop sign a 1/2 mile away, or you need to stop NOW because some idiot pulled out in front of you, the timed controller doesn't know or car. It simply ramps up the voltage and amperage to the trailer brakes over a pre-determined amount of time. An inertia controller, if working properly, should adjust voltage/amperage depending on load and how soon you need to stop.

I would never have a timed controller in my truck....my safety is just too important for me to compromise on such an important device.

I recommend Prodigy brake controllers by Tekonsha, they really seem to do well. If you drive an old truck like I do, you can get away with one of the best kind of controllers: hydrualically-actuated! :D They're awfully hard to find these days, though.

Casey

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2006, 17:10
There was a time I would have agreed with you. Now, after 80K+ miles with the A-II, I feel it is better than any inertial type. Yes, the braking function is set, but it can/will bring on very stable braking sooner than an inertial. The inertial types are passive, requiring some amount of -G to activate, and it is linear with the -G's. If you panic stop, and the ABS activates, preventing a -G, the trailer brakes won't offer much, if any, help. The timers, if set properly, will brake gradually up to your set gain (which should be set according to the trailer and load), and it will give maximum braking even if the truck/combination can't provide enough -G's to come up to full braking. The timing is actually an advantage from what I've seen, and I have many miles with both types. Before I used the Activator, I would have been on the same side of the argument as you. Also, the timers aren't effected by steep grades like the Prodigy. Regardless of what the literature says, a steep grade, either up or down, will hinder the performance. Been there. Done that.

Absolutely true about the hydraulic activators. I've considered installing one of my 30+ year old KH's for a try. There's been much debate about ABS and such, but I don't think it'll be that big a deal. I think the key is total volume of fluid, and smaller tubing could cure that.

haunruh
11-18-2006, 17:31
DMax, any tricks on setting up the A II? I understand the mounting angle is totally irrelevant which is good. I used to always disturb my old one by kicking it with my knee. Bit of a surprise at the next stop!!

DmaxMaverick
11-18-2006, 18:23
DMax, any tricks on setting up the A II? I understand the mounting angle is totally irrelevant which is good. I used to always disturb my old one by kicking it with my knee. Bit of a surprise at the next stop!!

Correct. Orientation is irrelevant. I mounted mine on the side of the center console (bucket seats) with the face just rear of the dash, at about a 20

Tough Guy
12-03-2006, 21:43
Does anybody use the Drawtite Activator II on their DMax? I just bought a 2003 Chevy 2500HD DMax with this setup and haven't yet towed with it. I tow a 10,000# 5er and am wondering if this controller is any good or if I should upgrade to a Tekonsha?:confused:

I use the Drawtite Activator II in my PSD and I also had one in my Silverado...Great brake controllers IMHO..

Chris