PDA

View Full Version : LBZ takeout engines

Mark Rinker
11-13-2006, 02:59
Before you dismiss this auction, check the sellers excellent feedback rating.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-6-DURAMAX-DIESEL-LBZ-ENGINE-ALLISON-TRANSMISSION-GM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ009QQitemZ 190049684884QQrdZ1

I have more homework to do, but when my work trucks pass 250K on the odometers, plan to have one of these low mile takeouts already purchased, ready to repower my '01 or '02 LB7.

Q: Aside from the ECM, what would have to be swapped over to mate an LBZ engine, trans, xfer case to an LB7 truck?

richk
11-13-2006, 07:34
Mark-Stumbled across this on the net www.dieselenginemotor.com Some Duramax's.

trbankii
11-13-2006, 08:03
Hmmm... Interesting. Any issues with importing engines from Canada? I've run across Canadian vehicles for sale locally, so I'd assume it wouldn't be a problem. But I also know Canada has diesel models that aren't available in the US - Toyota for example.

Mark Rinker
11-13-2006, 10:29
No problem importing to/from Canada. Lots of paperwork to keep taxes straight, thats about it.

Any big hurdles to adapt the LBZ to LB7 harness and accessories? I am just planning ahead of the curve - sure looks like there are lots of low mile, low cost engines out there.

Supply and demand works in our favor, its such a good motor/trans combo there is a ready supply of takeouts with weak demand. That could change as the early 01, 02, 03's get north of 300,000 miles. Both my '01 and '02 still drive out like new. No question that a re-power would be cost effective on paper with new prices in the 40s.

More Power
11-13-2006, 11:13
I talked to a guy the other day who bought a D/A conversion package out of Canada for $5K+ to use for a 90's C/K project. He seemed satisfied about the sale. This is certainly a good price - even if the shipping is $950 as indicated on the eBay auction. The duty might add to that as well.

Jim

mark45678
11-13-2006, 20:24
Keep looking for parts! you will need the entire under hood wireing harness and ECM, a 6 speed allison and its TCM, poss the under dash wireing and every thing to update to a current tow/ haul tap shifter, poss even more! Big time PITA doing a swap this involved. I have done a few gas motor swaps useing differnt trans , not a easy task to say the least. If I where you I would only swap the correct motor in to your truck or just sell your truck for something used with less miles.

paoutdoorsman
11-13-2006, 22:46
This is interesting. I quit snowmobiling in Quebec 4 years ago because the theft of complete rigs (trucks, trailers, & sleds) and GM diesel pickups in general had gotten so out of hand. I always figured this stuff all went overseas somehow. I know several people who have had to come home completely empty handed in a rental car. :mad:

Mark Rinker
11-14-2006, 16:35
Hmmm...how about a longblock swap, sell the LBZ stuff (ECM, harness) and trade the transmission/transfer case for 5 reman 5-speed.

Considering the relative cost of these engines and the cost of new and new/used trucks, I think repowering Duramax trucks with engines like these should be VERY cost effective. (Consider how many 6.5s have been done...and the relative cost/value...)

Am I missing something?

dieselrealtor
11-15-2006, 07:27
I just put a used lb7 (41k) in, it was an 03 mine was an 02, the engine harness was different & the ops configuration was different, had I known it was significantly different before hand, I would have swapped everything over when it was still out of the truck.

If I had it to do over again, planned to drive it till it died & had a little time to plan it, I believe I would buy the manuals that had the schematics & put a later model engine/trans/transfer w/ecm/tcm in. It is really not that difficult to modify the harness & move pin connectors around to make things work.

The one I bought came with the engine harness & engine compartment harness from the bottom of the fuse block on.

dmaxalliTech
11-16-2006, 21:54
Sam is great to deal with at LSDirectparts.

As for swapping in a LBZ, its more trouble then its worth IMO. There is not really any significant gain over one of them vs a LB7 with a small tune.

hapaschold
11-18-2006, 18:50
woulda been a great addition to my hopefull future yukon xl........neat idea at least