PDA

View Full Version : Rear main seal question

ccole
11-13-2006, 14:14
Hello friends,
I have a question regarding a 1984 Chevy 1-ton dually, 2-wheel drive w/ 4 speed manual transmission (6.2 "J" series). The rear main seal needs replaced badly and am considering doing it myself. Can the new seal be replaced by pulling back the transmission alone, or must you also remove the oil pan? I called my Chevy dealer and they didnt know, but said the book said it was a 6-1/2 job. Any tips/suggestons very very welcome. Thanks in advance!!

arveetek
11-13-2006, 15:39
On an 84 model 6.2L, the rear seal is a two-piece setup, and can only be replaced by pulling the oil pan and removing the rear main bearing cap. The transmission can be left in place....it wouldn't help to remove it at all.

I can't remember what year they transitioned to a one-piece seal...was it 91? Someone else will have to aid my memory on that one. On those models, you can replace the rear seal by pulling the tranny.

Casey

DmaxMaverick
11-13-2006, 15:58
'84 should be a rope seal. Either way, you don't need to pull the tranny. You have to remove the pan and rear cap. You may also need to loosen all the main caps to loosen it enough to R/R the seal. Easy job, once the pan is off. On a 2wd, the key is getting the pan off. You may have to disconnect the motor mounts and raise the engine slightly. I've never done a 2wd, but that's what I've heard.

While you are in there, it's also a good time to replace the oil pump. They're cheap, relatively.

NH2112
11-14-2006, 11:49
I replaced a 2WD 6.2l oil pan once by lifting the engine for clearance, and I think that if I had to do it again I'd just drop the front end. To lower it you have to remove 10 bolts holding the assembly to the frame, 2 lower shock bolts, 2 brake lines, and perhaps the pinchbolt on the steering gearbox. The advantage is you have a HUGE amount of room to work in, which I definitely didn't even when I had the engine right up against the firewall (vacuum pump removed for the most clearance.)

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2006, 11:58
Good idea, NH! I hate installing an oil pan with little clearance. Same with valve covers. I frequently have to reapply the sealer because I bugger it up. Fortunately, I'm patient, and always have more sealer than I need.

ccole
11-16-2006, 21:33
Thank you for the information! I am going to give it a try and see what happens.. Thanks again!