PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Brand

jbob
11-13-2006, 15:52
I am new to diesels and was wondering if there is any real difference in diesel fuel brands? Does anyone have any particular recommendations on fuel brand? Also, I heard it was a good idea to buy diesel fuel where they sell alot, so that it is fresh. Is this recommended? Thanks.

cowboywildbill
11-15-2006, 14:51
I think your on the right track. Find a local dealer that sells a lot of fuel at a resonable price and you should be OK.
Our local shell station has competitive prices and lots of contractors and school buses fuel there, so it is a good clean fresh supply of fuel all of the time. So I buy there, not because of the brand but because of his turnover. When your on the road try to use the big major type truck stops, they usually have the freshest fuel and the best prices. I avoid the MOM & POP or stand alone even brand name Gas stations that significantly higher prices than the surrounding stations. The reason is most people buy thier fuel where it is the cheapest price. As for one brand being better than another, I really don't know. Just make sure it is the right cetane rating or #2 diesel. If you have to run the new low sulphur fuel, it is a good idea to run an additive for lubrication for your injector pump. There are a few post on this matter.
John Kennedy will tell you how important clean and well filtered fuel is.
Most people run a secondary or auxillary fuel filter just because the factory ones aren't the greatest. There are several post on that also. Didn't mean to ramble but hope that helps.

jbob
11-16-2006, 10:53
Hey thanks cowboywildbill. This was a big help. Don't worry about the rambling on, I like as much info as you guys have to offer. Notice your near Thurmont. I'm in Ellicott City. I haven't bought my truck yet because I'm waiting on the new Silverado and Sierra HD 2500s. I want to see them in person to see which one I like best. I can't tell for sure from the pictures. Really looking forward to one of them though. Thanks again.

cowboywildbill
11-16-2006, 11:57
Hey your welcome, You will love which ever year truck you go with I'm sure. One thing about the current models they can burn bio diesel, I don't know about the new one's comming out. Just a thought. Let us know what you get.