PDA

View Full Version : stalling on warm day with engine hot.

noelb
11-14-2006, 07:02
Can I please post a confusing stalling issue?

Burb has started stalling when engine hot:( after a long run. Parked the vehicle at the shop or for fuel etc. for about 5 mins and then stalls after start up. Then have to wind it over quite a few times to get it to start. Then drive down the road and stalls while driving. Stalled about 20 times in 4-5 miles approx. Would not start for several minutes. Seemed to start better if I poured water over pmd and ip(but ran out of water). Whilst winding and pumpng accelerator engine would kick but not start. Then it would start and I could rev the engine but it would run rough for a few second before stalling with black smoke from exhaust. Finally got it started and drove the last 3 miles home.:)

Engine has a habit of surging every now and then at idle. Plenty of fuel pressure at IP. lift pump replaced. New diesel fuel cap. Checked earths and wiring. No codes. New delphi injectors. Coolant temperature 175-200f.

:confused: Confusing symptoms as it is fine on short trips and on cool days. The set up on the Aussie version makes it very hard to get to the pmd or Associated wiring. I am leaning towards the idea the IP is failing (unable to pump the fuel due to worn parts) rather than the PMD, although I thought maybe the heat is causing the pmd to play up.

Why will the vehicle start and run rough for a few seconds if it it the PMD that is failing? Wouldn't this suggest an IP failling.:confused:

How can I tell if it is the IP or PMD. It is going to cost probably $2250 USD to get a reconditioned modified IP fitted.:(

Any input gratefully accepted.:)

N9Phil
11-14-2006, 07:18
My money is on the PMD. Do a search on PMD's and FSD's and you will find that you have all the symptoms of one going bad. A lot cheaper than a new pump. If you take it to a dealer they will replace the pump (it comes with a new PMD) and your problem will be solved after $$$$$$$$$$. I use the SOL-D's on my Suburban

noelb
11-14-2006, 07:22
I've done the search but am not totally convinced that it is the PMD because it only happens when the engine is HOT and only after the vehicle has sat for a five or so minutes before restarting...

Kennedy
11-14-2006, 08:24
Have you scanned trouble codes?

Robyn
11-14-2006, 08:33
I have had 4 of the 6.5 electronic injected rigs and they have all at one time or another done this stuff.
My opinion is the PMD is on the way to the toilet. What you are most likely seeing is HEAT SOAK. These things almost never fail when cold.
I replaced the last one of these failure prone POS's with a SOL D unit and have had great results. The only issue was in the COLD at or below 20F
I fixed that with a little creative wiring to get more Voltage to the SOL D when its cold.
You are in an area that probably sees little cold. Check out the SOL D from Remarq technologies.
The other choice is to use a Stanadyne PMD and remote mount the thing out of the HOT ZONE

JTodd
11-14-2006, 11:03
If you want to wait to confirm, go ahead, but your symptoms are classic PMD failure. I think you confirmed that yourself when you cooled it with water and it worked better. As you go down the PMD failure path, it will begin to stall more and more, warm or cold. I would suggest a spare if you want to drive it to make sure.

noelb
11-14-2006, 17:59
Now registering code P1214 continuously. But nott setting any warning lights. IP TDCO at -0.5.

arveetek
11-14-2006, 19:27
I've done the search but am not totally convinced that it is the PMD because it only happens when the engine is HOT and only after the vehicle has sat for a five or so minutes before restarting...

When my PMD failed, it acted just like yours. Mine would only stall AFTER it had set a few minutes, in fact. If I started and drove all day without shutting it off, it would never fail. But shut it off and run into the store or go to a ball game or something of that nature, it would stall after several times in the first few miles and then hopefully stay running. I believe the culprit was heat soak, as has been mentioned.

A new PMD, remote cooler, and extension harness from Kennedy solved my problems. Not a single stall in over a year.

I believe that my PMD failed due to an inoperative lift pump caused by a faulty oil pressure switch. Without fuel being pumped through the IP, there was no cooling effect, and the result was an overheated PMD.

Casey

DA BIG ONE
11-14-2006, 19:58
Now registering code P1214 continuously. But nott setting any warning lights. IP TDCO at -0.5.

Should set code and dash warning light, its not so maybe;

Make sure all your ecm connectors and especially the pins are properly seated. Pins do get pulled out if ecm harness comes through firewall in footwell area and up to ecm. Had an issue that confused everyone it turned out to be pins pulled from ecm socket, then may look seated but use a non metal probe and push each one into ecm socket to eliminate this as an issue.

Pump, driver maybe going south.....

noelb
11-16-2006, 02:45
The p1214 code was under currently failing codes but had not progressed further. No idea why i'm getting code.

Anyway, I have extended a new harness and installed a new PMD remotely between the battery and the headlights on what would be ther drivers side of a LHD.

What a nightmare of a job getting to the two nuts on the pump between where the harness connects.

I used a heatsink that is rated at 1.8 per watt. hopefully this is enough to keep it down to 122f.

Taking the Burb for a five hour long drive tomorrow. Will see how it goes now!

Daver94K2500
11-29-2006, 16:22
A friend of mine and I both have 94 K2500 6.5TD's and he is having a similar problem. Although mine is running well, his exihbits very similar symptoms as yours. We have changed the PMD's out (we have about four working units to choose from) when his truck fails and it does not remedy the no-start condition. The same PMD's will start and run my truck fine. We have verified the fuel shut-off solenoid clicks on, the lift pump runs, no codes are set, and no air in the system. The DS4 itself is relatively new (less than 30,000 miles). The only thing that seems to bring it to life is to let it set long enough to perhaps cool down. Any discovery on your part with this symptom would be appreciated by many.