PDA

View Full Version : Extending PMD wiring harness.

noelb
11-14-2006, 07:26
I have a new PMD and wiring harness. Can I extend the harness by chopping the cable at some point and soldering in an extension section?

gmctd
11-14-2006, 08:02
Yes - use bare crimps, solder after crimping, coat with black RTV, slip shrink tubing over the joint, then heat-shrink for a sure electrical connection, sealed and weather-proofed.

72" of 18-16awg is good for under the bumper, front of the radiator bulkhead, etc - it's a current-driver module, so no worries on that length, mate.

Kennedy
11-14-2006, 08:22
If you would like to do it yourself yet retain sealed plug in connections, I do have some of my old style couplers available. It will mate two "like" ends in opposing fashion. CNC machined delrin material and perfect seal.

Essentially, you will need 2 PMD harness ends and enough wire to get where you are going.

noelb
11-14-2006, 16:52
Thanks GMCTD & JK. Kinda need to do something in the next couple of days and don't have time to wait for shipping from the states. Will have to extend my cable.

cheers

noelb
11-16-2006, 02:51
I extended the new harness by about 72" using 16awg equivallent wire. When I found out how hard it was to connect the cable to the rear of the IP I wished I had purchased an extension weeks ago from JK as intended.(out of sight out of mind) It would have been cheaper to buy JK's as well by the time I bought the bits and pieces to do the job.

However now the entire harness is new and shouldn't be the source of any electrical gitches.

Cheers

gmctd
11-16-2006, 16:35
What size and type of sink did you use for the FSD module?

noelb
11-16-2006, 17:15
I used one from an electronics wholesaler. It was about 8 inches by 6 inches, maybe biger and about 1.5 inches deep. The base was about 1/4 inch thick and with fins on the other side. It was pretty heavy. I remember reading somewhere that the PMD only has to generate about 50 watts so at 1degree c per way that is about 50 degress c or 122f. Located wher it is it will get air circulation as well. After stopping should keep it cool even with a hot engine. Fingers crossed!

It fits well there and looks like it was meant to be there.(should post some pics hey? - have to do that when I get back...)

gmctd
11-16-2006, 19:40
Very good - should get the job done, as you say.

If you're taking pics, I would really like to see a wide-angle shot of the engine bay on that RH drive 6.5TD Holden.