PDA

View Full Version : what chip to buy

cudaaa
01-08-2004, 05:15
Who has the best chip and turbo adjustment for power and fuel milage. All help greatly appreciated Thanks Cudaaa

Cowracer
01-08-2004, 06:48
The two big "chip-daddies" are Bill Heath and John Kennedy. Both chips are great improvments over stock. Their biggest difference is boost control.

Heath advocates using a turbo-master (which he makes and sells) to replace the vacuum system that controls the wastegate, and thus, boost.

Kennedy uses the stock vacuum system to control boost.

Both chips will allow higher boost, give more fuel, and adjust fuel delivery curve. You really cant go wrong with either, just determine how you want to control your boost.

For the record, I have the Heath chip and Turbo-master, and I am very pleased with the results.

Tim

Marty Lau
01-08-2004, 08:45
Cudaaa;

I too have the Heath set up. I like the fact the Tubo Master is not controlled by vacum. The itty bitty Mickey Mouse vacum lines get brittle and crack and taadaa NO BOOST. Kennedy also sells the Tubo Master wastgate controller. If you deal with either place you get to deal with a good guy.

cudaaa
01-09-2004, 04:43
I was thinking of going with Bill Heath. Did mpg stay about the same? Thanks again for the help! cudaaa

Marty Lau
01-09-2004, 09:27
My MPG went up but I attribute that to mostly getting the Turbo back on line so fuel could be used more efficently.

Scooby
01-14-2004, 19:19
I too am considering the Heath computer swapout deal. I need to put a bigger exhaust on first, maybe some injectors as mine have 103k on them, and of course the Turbomaster. How much increase in mileage (if any) could be expected with the new computer installed ???

damork
01-15-2004, 05:40
I have the BD Race chip and have over 100000 miles with no complaints. I have boost I will never use, but nice to have it if I want it. I've hit 12-13 lbs with it.

It seems to give better economy and under good conditions I'll get 20.5 mpg.

Dvldog 8793
01-15-2004, 06:52
howdy
I have the JK boost control. No chip cause my '99 is already at max tune. My mileage went down a little when I did the boost control. I also did my exhaust at the same time and I think my mileage decrease is in direct relation to the heft of my foot since the truck is a beast and sounds so cool! :D
L8r
Conley

morgan
01-15-2004, 14:41
I have the Kennedy chip, and like it very much. It really made my old truck wake up and run. Old boost was about 9psi max. Now it goes up to about 15 or so. More performance, and no noticable change in fuel mileage. Simple plug and play.