PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Crawdad
11-14-2006, 09:08
I am planning to purchase a new duramax within the next several months. My question is whether to hurry up and get the 07 classic(the one that is being sold now), or to get the new body style with the engine that will only burn the ultra low sulphur diesel. The newer engine will have more emission control equipment on it, and there may be an advantage to having the older one. Also, will there be a problem later with the classic duramax engine when the only fuel that is available is ULSD? Are the new engines going to be built to better handle the ULSD from a lubrication standpoint? Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks

colt49
11-14-2006, 10:45
I just purchased the 06 LBZ in July and it has such improved features over the prior year it seems like the best one to go with for me because I don't want to mess with the DPF and other emissions the put on in the first phase of production. This LBZ proir emissiions model will run the new fuel all you have to do is add some fuel treater for lubricity and you can choose from many popular brands that work great. In Europe they are running this new fuel to us anyway and are doing fine with it. The Class 8 truck makers are in the millions of test mile range running these new engines with the new emissions with fine results from what I read. I looked at a new Peterbilt with the DPF and all that crap and was glad I bought the 06 LBZ to not have that on my truck. I can run it like it is stock and get many years of excellent use with maintenance and sensible use. My stock LBZ gets 23 mpg on the open road at 65 mph and that's as good as some of these guys that put on all the trick aftermarket stuff. I have put on a Flow pro muffler which did now improve the performance. The stock muffler was very quiet and still made excellent mpg. The stock air filter is putiing out better performance filterwise cleaning the air than the foamers. The guys using the foam claim more performance and it probably is noticeable, as I noted better running after new muffler. You should buy this last LBZ non emissions motor because you will have all the EPA junk on the new ones. That's my nickel Good Luck your decision buy what you want it is your money. The Duramax is the one to get though in my view after owning one now for 4 months.

More Power
11-16-2006, 01:09
It remains to be seen how owning a 2007 Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions diesel will turn out as far as DPF service. The optimist in me suspects it'll not be a problem.

A recent radio ad produced by a local Chevy dealer said the new diesel trucks will have a $2900 premium due to the new emissions equipment (they were encouraging people to buy now). This, I believe, will be offset by the truck being worth more when you trade it in a few years down the road because it'll be the new body style. Also, there could be dealer and buyer incentives early next year that could erase the emissions premium. :)

Jim

Jackmchome
11-16-2006, 17:32
I bought the 2007 for the reasons above. I live in California and we are using the ultra fuel now. Truck works well. Owner's manual states it is good to go using the new fuel. One bit of concern using the wrong fuel, Do Not go into Mexico. I do not think they are going to change their mixture.

Crawdad
11-19-2006, 21:57
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be picking up my new 07 classic on Tuesday. Now I have to decide whether to change the tires to larger ones or keep the ones that it comes with. I am afraid that the larger diameter will cause problems with the computer, etc. Thanks for your input.

Mark Rinker
11-20-2006, 13:53
265s increase the footprint and look nice in the wheelwells. They only increase diameter by 3% - hardly enough to even bother with the speedometer error.