PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some GM part #s

JeepSJ
08-16-2005, 13:27
I wish they had a better search engine on the gmpartsdirect site... Anyway, I know that several of you have an amazing ability to come up with part numbers. I'm getting down to the final nuts and bolts here and need some help with some GM part numbers. I have scoured wrecking yards for the pieces, with no luck. So I've decided to just pay the price so I can get this thing running.

The parts I need -
Oil filler tube - the whole assembly, including cap
Throttle cable - one for a 80's Blazer with a 6.2 should fit
Turbo/exhaust heat shield - is there such a thing? Goes behind the turbo and exhaust manifold to keep some of the heat off the wiring, etc...
PS reservoir - I have a pump that uses a remote reservoir - I need the reservoir and cap

Any help with part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

*OR*
If anyone has any of these parts laying around, then give me a shout!

Bobbie Martin
08-16-2005, 16:36
I have a 6.5 oil filler tube with a cap! Let me know if you want it.

DmaxMaverick
08-16-2005, 18:37
Looks like Bobbie has the only "engine specific" item you need. The rest can be improvised.

The throttle cable can be off an 80's gasser, if the 80's Diesel cable will work. The cables were similar, and in many cases, the same.

You can use "off the shelf" moldable heat shield sheeting. Any big rig supplier or speed shop will have some, as well as many parts stores. Many TDP advertisers carry exhaust pipe wrap, which will also work. Call or email them. An aftermarket wrap may be a better option, considering your project.

Use any steel reservoir of about 1 pt. or more for the PS reservoir. Fab one, or find one. As long as it has a hole/cap to fill it, and a hose nipple at the bottom, it will work. The cap needs to be vented, though. Be sure the hose to the pump is free gravity. Any traps will cause problems. 80's HD gassers also had the same pump/reservoir.

tom.mcinerney
08-16-2005, 20:11
On my '95 there's a stamped steel heat shield BENEATH the psgr (turbo) side ex manifold . Wires to starter , and glow plugs , and front diff all flow down behind psgr head , beneath shield . I dunno other years. I do have a photo of this critter if interested...

JeepSJ
08-16-2005, 21:08
Bobbie - you have mail.

Thanks, Tom. A picture would be great. I was wondering how the wires were supposed to be routed for the glow plugs - I assumed they went over the top, as they do on the driver's side. Makes more sense that they would go under - much easier routing. Now I just need to keep the wires from melting. The ceramic coating on the manifold should help, but it will still get plenty warm.

I tried a cable for a gasser - it was too short. The gasser cable bracket is at the back of the manifold - ours are in the front. I've been looking around the aftermarket for a PS tank, but I haven't found anything suitable (even been scouring the car swap meets at Pomona and Long Beach). Looks like I need something with about a 3/4" fitting on the bottom, or I'll need to fab up some special hose, too.

[ 08-16-2005, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: JeepSJ ]

JeepSJ
08-16-2005, 21:40
...and while you are all digging through your piles of old parts, I'm also looking for a timing pointer, and an oil return line for the turbo.

Thanks!

tom.mcinerney
08-17-2005, 18:36
My engine came without timing pointer , local GM dealer found without difficulty on their computer...less than $10 IIRC.

I think Delphi/Cardone might have a PS reservoir, dunno...I bought a new reservoir fot the brake MC from AutoZone online, but they sell the grommets only with the MC itself.

I'm at tbhpmciATHOTMAILdotCOM {should be all lower case lettering}, need yer addy for foto transmission .

JeepSJ
08-18-2005, 10:34
Tom - you have mail.

I think I found a PS reservoir - got one for an old big block Chevelle from Ebay. Looks to be exactly what I need.

Thanks guys!

David Brady
08-18-2005, 18:05
I have a front cover with the pointer still on, I need the special torx to remove it. I can bring by the whole thing if you're interested.

JeepSJ
08-18-2005, 20:35
Dave,

Where are you located?

tom.mcinerney
08-19-2005, 06:28
Jeep:
Your turbo is covered by a shield, and another shield is between the turbo and the valve cover (engine), yes ??

JeepSJ
08-19-2005, 08:15
There is a shield over the exhaust housing on the turbo. I do not have the one between the turbo and the valve cover - that is really the one that I was looking for.

Thanks for the pics! I didn't know there was a shield down there too.

David Brady
08-20-2005, 06:11
Poway, let me know if you want this cover I was going to throw it away as it is heavily corroded in a couple of spots. Coolant changes should be followed as recommended by factory, even in San Diego.

JeepSJ
08-20-2005, 12:06
Poway!?!?!?

I live out by Poway Rd and Garden Rd. We are neighbors! I'll take that cover off your hands. E-mail me at mark(dot)linder(at)cox(dot)net.