PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel Clouding the optical sensor?

noelb
11-14-2006, 18:39
I was told by GM service advisor that Biodiesel may cloud the OPS. Has anyone had any experience that they can share on this subject?
Is 80/20 blend OK (80% diesel / 20% biodiesel)?

arveetek
11-14-2006, 19:19
I've been running home-brewed biodiesel (B100) in both of my diesels for over a year. On my mechanical 6.2L, the only way to tell that it's running on biodiesel is to smell the exhaust....mmmmmm! French fries! :D It runs exactly the same on either source of fuel.

On my electronic 6.5L, I have noticed that the engine has more diesel clatter at idle on the bio than on regular pump diesel. When I fill up with bio, it gets noiser, and when I fill up with dino diesel, it goes back to running quiet again. I can only tell the difference at idle, though. Doesn't seem to make a difference at higher rpm that I can tell. It seems as if the timing is advanced at idle when on bio. I've often wondered if the bio affects the electronic DS4 somehow, and it compensates by advancing the timing??

Other than that, no other effects have been noticed...... well, except for greatly reduced fuel costs!

Casey

damork
11-14-2006, 20:40
I've run it in my 6.5 and the only change I have noticed is a slight improvement in economy. My brother just bought a 2006 D0dge 2500 TD and confirms the same with his.

I was concern about clouding as well, but I've run several tankfuls on the same pump since 2003 and haven't had problems.

GOEHILL
11-16-2006, 15:35
I Run About A 75% Bio,25% Diesel In My 1998 And I Haven't Had Any Problems At All. I Think Mine Runs Quieter With The Bio Thean On Diesel. I've Noticed A Slight Drop In Power,but My Milage Seemes To Be The Same. I've Been Running This About A Year, I've Taken It On Vacation , Towing My 31' Camping Trailer, And The Only Thing I've Noticed Was It Seemed To Run A Little Bit Hotter.