PDA

View Full Version : DSG Gear Install

kaylabryn
11-15-2006, 17:01
I have managed to loose my instructions for the Dual Idler install. If anybody has them on PDF I would greatly appreciate a copy. Also does anyone know the torque spec for a 95, for the cam sproket and harmonic balancer. The link on the diesel page says 65-125 year dependent for the cam sproket and it appears that anything after 85 is 200 ft/lbs.

Thanks Mike

More Power
11-15-2006, 17:14
As I recall, if your cam bolt is a grade 9.9, you can go to 125 ft/lbs torque. All harmonic damper bolts should be at 200.

The 6.5 Project cam bolt was torqued at 65 ft/lbs - 7 years and 200K+ miles ago. However, GM increased cam bolt torque (I believe) due to the somewhat higher loads imposed on the timing set by the DS4 fuel injection pump. If rebuilding another engine, I'd want the 125 ft/lb setting, even if that meant buying a new higher grade cam bolt. Be sure to clean the bolt threads and the threads in the cam using an oil-free solvent, then use Loc-Tite 242 (the red stuff) on the bolt threads.

Jim

kaylabryn
11-15-2006, 17:27
How do I determine if it is grade 9.9 or not?

kaylabryn
11-15-2006, 19:00
Had another question for the people that have installed the gear drive, what were the key things to look at? I am pretty savy with engines so the basic install is not a problem it is the warning/caution things that I am not sure about. I remember that there should be space between the cover and the idlers and I do but how much? Also how much slop should there be on the unloaded side of the idler i.e the backlash. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

kaylabryn
11-15-2006, 19:04
Question, my bolt has 10.9 on it does this supersede the 9.9 or what?