PDA

View Full Version : More smoke than usual

kaylabryn
10-08-2003, 16:28
I have a 1993 6.5td and was wondering if anyone could help me with my problem. When the truck is cold it does not smoke hardly at all unless I really lug it, but once it's warmed up it smokes considerably more. Any help would be appreciated Mike

ucdavis
10-09-2003, 20:09
Need more info: # miles, turbo or non, other mods that may affect smoke (fuel delivery, airbox, ...), fuel pump type, timing adjustment, color of smoke (white= unburnt fuel or maybe steam in exhaust, black= timing, blue= oil). Post again for better diagnosis.

kaylabryn
10-10-2003, 07:14
6.5 Turbo Diesel Mechanical pump, 115,000 miles Banks exhaust and no snorkel and Amsoil filter. I advanced the timing with no change in smoke but increased mileage a little. Was thinking about checking the timing chain slack. It still has original pump and injectors, I don't think they are to bad in that I get 17-19mpg on the road and it always starts right up and runs great. I took it to a diesel guy here in town previously and he said it was the best running 6.5 he has seen with no major upgrades done. Since then, the timing has been changed (a little advanced). It just smokes a lot more than it use to. I have been running Amsoil Diesel fuel additive every tank is it possible that it is cleaning the injectors to the point that the fuel needs to be turned down? The previous owner may have jacked the fuel up to benefit from the exhaust and snorkel removal.