PDA

View Full Version : Intermed. Steering Shaft Clunk

JohnnyR
11-16-2006, 14:39
As experienced by others, my 2005 2500HD developed the steering clunk at 30k miles. Dearlership just told me they lubricated the assembly in lieu of replacing it and that is the current GM recommendation. Anybody know whether that's correct and if it fixes it? Seems I remember reading here that it didn't do much good to replace the shaft if you didn't lubricate it properly. Does anyone know the proper procedure to do so and what kind of grease to use?

jbplock
11-16-2006, 19:41
Bulletin No. 00-02-35-003J Date: January 30, 2006
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][I]Condition: clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel

DIESELMAX403
11-26-2006, 09:05
Johnny R,

I experienced the shaft clunk on both my '02 Yukon XL and my '03 Duramax. The dealer re-greased the shaft in the Yukon and replaced it in the Duramax. The Duramax has been fine since, but the Yukon starting clunking again after about 10K miles. I since then bought a supposedly new shaft for the Yukon and replaced it. About 10K miles later, it is clunking again. The part number they sold me was 88965505 for $92. When I looked up this part on GM direct parts, it says it has been replaced by 19149105. So I guess they dealer sold me the old reject part.

I would insist that you have it replaced with the new improved part. Re-lubing it works for about 10K miles.

Regards,

DieselMax403

SHOPMAN426
11-26-2006, 11:28
It's been about a year since I was last in for the clunk. This was the third time in for the same problem. They replaced the shaft, but after driving it for about six months or so the clunk is back as if I never took it in. My dealer said that since I brought it in under warranty that they will fix it for however long, since this is not a resolved issue. It would be nice if they could get it together. This is one example of how little they care about your problems. I'm sure most folks give up on the idea that it will ever be fixxed. This is what the dealer is betting on.

Shopman426,

Mike.