PDA

View Full Version : Turbo soaked in oil?

seth_95
11-16-2006, 23:45
Well its me again and I have another question about this newly purchased 6.5 diesel. The turbo seems to be covered in oil and it all over it and the valve cover on that side. It isnt leaving a puddle or spot on the ground though, so it is a very slow leak but where is it comming from. I hosed it off today and made it silver so I will see how long it will take to get dirty again but I would like to know what is causing this. I checked the oil line to the turbo and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions?

DA BIG ONE
11-17-2006, 01:11
Well its me again and I have another question about this newly purchased 6.5 diesel. The turbo seems to be covered in oil and it all over it and the valve cover on that side. It isnt leaving a puddle or spot on the ground though, so it is a very slow leak but where is it comming from. I hosed it off today and made it silver so I will see how long it will take to get dirty again but I would like to know what is causing this. I checked the oil line to the turbo and it seems to be fine. Any suggestions?

I'd suspect leak in feed line or drain back, then journal bearings if the rotating mass moves sideways, or back and forth, this has to be checked w/cool motor and not running. You grab the compressor wheel at the center shaft wiggle up/down & frt/back there should be no play, perhaps very little play is ok for short period if it's not making contact w/housing.

Then there is the ole CDR valve at the valve cover near turbo, see it's piped into air intake if it's worn or defective lots of oil can and does get past it into turbo.

Robyn
11-17-2006, 09:31
Even when new the 6.5 TD sucks a lot of oil vapor over the top and through the CDR valve on the right valve cover.
This will leave the turbo housing pretty sloppy.
Check all your hoses and connections to the CDR and the turbo. Also if the air cleaner has been let go and gets too restricted it can cause more oil pull over.
I would change the CDR out for a new one and clean all the parts and hoses and reinstall.
My 94 was eating oil at the rate of a quart a week untill I replaced the CDR.

seth_95
11-22-2006, 00:44
should I buy a cdr at the dealership or on the net?

Turbo Al
11-24-2006, 13:45
I second changing the CRD
I got mine from the stealer