PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle seal replacement??

WILLYD-MAX
11-17-2006, 11:45
I am working on replacing my rear axle seal. I had a few questions. I noticed the caliper bolts were a pain to get off and looked like they had some type of thread locker on them, also the axle shaft bolts had thread locker on them so I put medium strength blue on both of them ,,,I hope that is the right strength! Also could not find a torque spec on the axle shaft bolts??? So if anyone knows that spec it would be great.My e-brake pads were definatley shot. I had it all apart and realized that so I was stuck with getting reamed by gm on pads cause nobody else had them in stock ouch! Otherwise not to bad of a job overall. I noticed that the seal is some type of 2 piece seal and when I pulled the hub off half of it stayed on the axle. Does the seal rotate inside of itself or does it just spin on the axle?

DmaxMaverick
11-17-2006, 12:13
Your thread locker should be OK. The torque is the key. It's been my experience the OEM thread locker, if it hasn't been contaminated by solvents, will work again at least one time if it comes out intact and it is still pliable (not brittle).

Axle flange bolt torque: 148 lb/ft.

The oil seal should be one piece. If yours is 2, that could explain your leak. The seal is stationary in the hub, and rotates on the spindle surface. Sounds like yours parted. Nothing new here. Check the spindle seal surface for any defects. If it isn't perfectly smooth and well polished, it could be suspect of frequent seal failure. Be sure to clean the surrounding area of any dirt/grime, and grease the seal during the install. A dry seal can self destruct before the lube gets there.

Sorry to hear about your dealer experience. They sure are proud of them. They are still just brake shoes, for crying out loud!

WILLYD-MAX
11-17-2006, 13:15
DmaxMaverick...Thanks for the help! The axle surface looked okay where the seal contacted it but further back it had some slight rust so I lightly sanded it with some emery paper and then greased the seal with some hd amsoil grease. It was largely my fault on the shoes as I should have ordered them eirlier but I thot maybee they would not be contaminated but it looks like if you have oil seeping out its to late any way. I will know better next time if there is a next time:( I also sprayed a bunch of amsoil hd metal protector on the e- brake linkage