PDA

View Full Version : Tuning It up, need some advise.6.5Turbo

ohiohusky
11-17-2006, 14:03
I am currently attempting a tune up at 180,000 miles, just got the truck and its in dire shape. I did get the ejectors changed on the drivers side, now to the passenger side. Do I have to totally remove the Turbo, if so, how much knowledge do I need.(Any recalibrations), settings that I should know about? Also, have bought a #9 resistor and need to know if there anything I need to know when I install this. I am planning on replacing all ejectors, glow plugs, the resistor, oil sending, air breather, & fuel filter. Any other things that I may need to concern myself with?
Thanks, for taking the time to read my situation..

ohiohusky
11-17-2006, 14:05
Help...All advise I can get is desperately needed as well as appreciated..Thanks

Hubert
11-17-2006, 14:27
At 180K miles and 12 +/- yrs you could almost spend as much as you wanted to. You could go all the way and rebuild or hit the high spots:

Other good ideas for freshen up w/o pulling motor:

1. Exhaust upgrade
2. New timing chain
Since you are there: Water pump (97 cooling mods), Harmonic balancer, front main pulley.

Then make sure everything else is working correctly and save up for rebuild or new motor or truck.

damork
11-19-2006, 12:01
At 160k I replaced the timing chain with a DSG gear drive, installed the HO cooling package and was the single best upgrade I did for the truck. It runs better than it did before the upgrade, and now with over 238k, it is still going strong. At that time I was beginning to think I needed new injectors, glow plugs, etc, but the worn timing chain was the real culprit.