PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding 97&up air box parts

itr_hybrid
10-08-2003, 18:19
Anyone have a good contact for these parts. I have called a dozen junkyards without any luck. - Phillip

92 Diesel Dude
10-08-2003, 21:20
I contemplated looking for the same items but didn't bother due to the fact that they are a hot item because of thier positive seal . What I'm currently doing is modifying my filter situation to a cold airkit. I bought a 4" exhaust elbow and cut it so ther is 2" on each side of the corner. This diameter of tubing fits perfectly into the existing turbo to air box rubber elbow. Although the rubber elbow is oval it forms round beatifully making a tight seal around the ex elbow. At the othe end of the elbow I'm fitting a cone style K&N filter 8" long 6" inOd at big end and 4" at small end. Both ends will be clamped securily and a tin shroud will be built to support the elbow and to shed the heaat from the turbo. The shroud will extend to the hood and forward beyond the battery soair is pulled from the lower grill area in front of the battery. I can't see why this won't work to ensure clean relatively cool air with very possitive sealing around filter and conections. My engine has only 15000 kms on it after a rebuild and Ihave noticed scuffed cyl bores due to a #!!$%&*%#^&*() leaking air BOX. Never again will it be used. The primary reason for this engine being apart is in search of a nasty internal knock that I dont think Im ever going to find. Although every thing tested great on the injection system I think an injector was having a bad day just like the owner .Needless to say it's getting rebuilt again only this time with 18:1 avant pistons.
I hope this helps you.
DIESEL DUDE

whatnot
10-08-2003, 21:36
www.car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com)

StephenA
10-09-2003, 06:46
Diesel Dude: I've been trying to find the same air mod you are building. Nobody makes one. Could you post pictures of it when you are done?
I was thinking of making one that gets air from the same route as the current airbox (from the ports on the bumper going up through the fender), going to the cone filter which would be in a stainless box which was open only at the fender port & at the top as well. I was going to use foam or rubber to seal the top to the padding on the underside of the hood, and seal the fender port from leaking air into the engine compartment. Then when the hood was open, I could inspect or remove & clean the cone filter easily, & dust out the box, which would have a small water drain at the bottom & would fasten to the fender. Closing the hood would seal & form an airtight box around filter, maintaining cool air pressure from the bumper ports.
Also, I found a service bulletin on line that mentioned sealing a hole caused by a seam in the fender/wheel well that lets dirt in.

Bobbie Martin
10-09-2003, 14:31
I was thinking of making one that gets air from the same route as the current airbox (from the ports on the bumper going up through the fender), going to the cone filter which would be in a stainless box which was open only at the fender port & at the top as well. I was going to use foam or rubber to seal the top to the padding on the underside of the hood, and seal the fender port from leaking air into the engine compartment The newer round filter airboxes are basically what you are describing. They are plastic instead of stainless, but they are much better than the older plate air boxes. You might want to have a look at them before you go to all the trouble of making a new box. They are available at online salvage yards for around $100

StephenA
10-09-2003, 19:02
Thanks Bobbie- that's 97+ right?

92 Diesel Dude
10-09-2003, 21:24
Hello Turbo Power! No one makes an actual Kit per say that I'm aware of . The exhaust elbow I perchased at a muffler shop and the cone filter and clamps Ibought at a performance automotive store. every thing else I will have to be fabbed up. I have removed the black plastic wind tunnel that feeds the fender with air so the bumper air will push in in front of the battery right into my shrould. I will be blocking the original air box enterance for cosmetic reasons and also because I feel it is a dirt tunnel coming from around the fender. It sounds as though we are both barking up the same tree! regards
Diesel Dude.

StephenA
10-10-2003, 03:52
Hey Diesel Dude. Doncha love that 92? Can't wait to see what you build. Do you have any way of taking digital pics?
Hat's off!

itr_hybrid
10-12-2003, 08:17
Bobbie,
I have called a dozen+ junkyards without luck. I believe you need the box & elbow as well. If you could souce one for me, I'll give you $150 for it. I have just about given up.
- Phillip

whatnot
10-12-2003, 11:19
If you use the link I posted above, you should be able to find one for around $100.

Bobbie Martin
10-12-2003, 15:04
As whatnot said car-part.com list several I looked for 97-2000 3500 series trucks. They also come up on eBay, but not very often. You will need the air box & brackets, plastic elbow, rubber tube, air flow telltale & resonator. I really recommend the resonator, it cuts down on a LOT of intake noise. At first I didn't install it, but after too many complaints from my wife, I installed it. Hard to believe the difference it made. If you click on my sig file, you can see several pictures of my set up. I have been told the gas trucks used the same air box, but I cannot verify this. I had to buy a new plastic elbow, it wasn't too bad, less than $15 I think. I also priced a new rubber tube assembly (it has the resonator and I think the telltale) it was around $100. So if you could find a gas truck airbox for cheap, it might be worth a try. K&N list the same filter for 5.7, 7.4 & 6.5 trucks, so its probably the same box assembly. I'm going by memory on all the prices, so check with the dealer before you take my word

itr_hybrid
10-12-2003, 15:24
Thanks for the info, Bobbie! I've been trying car-part.com. So far people have the airbox and junk the rest (tube, resonator, etc.). I notice that you searched for a 3500 vs a 2500, Any particular reason?

whatnot
10-12-2003, 15:59
I am not sure if it will find them all so you might want to search for 1500, 2500 and 3500 seperate.
They probably won't tell all the parts that are included with it.
When I am looking for a part on there, I call them starting at the cheapest. (emails never seem to work)
I got my airbox on there for $50 and it had everything from the fender to the turbo included.

I know that one for a 454 gas engine won't work. They use the same air filter but the airbox is much bigger and the hose comes out the wrong side.

StephenA
10-13-2003, 07:55
Diesel Dude: Where is the air gonna come from under the battery box, on your new mod?

Phillip: I'm looking for the same thing. Now I'll look for both of us. If you find anything, let me know as well, ok?

[ 10-13-2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: StephenA ]

GMCfourX4
10-15-2003, 05:24
I am probably going to be making something similar to complete my intercooler install (kinda a long story, but hopefully when its all done I'll post pics). I already have the '97 air box (obviously) but I want to move the air filter, and make a box that draws cold air directly from the hole in the core support, with something smoother for the intake from the filter to turbo (mandrel bent, maybe). I also plan on putting some kind of filter in the CDR tube so I don't get so much oil in the intake (don't want it to clog up my new intercooler). If I get everything installed, I will probably be willing to part with my '97 filter box.

-Chris

itr_hybrid
10-15-2003, 06:45
Stephen,
If I find a soure, I will definitely let you know. Got to loo after other Ambroses ;)

Others,
The $150 offer stands for anyone who has the whole assembly in good shape.

- Phillip Ambrose

GMCfourX4
10-15-2003, 11:05
itr_Hybrid;
If you are interested in my air filter assembly, with resonator, elbow, and rubber elbow, send me an e-mail at GMC4by@yahoo.com I will probably be willing to part with them once I get my new setup up and running (hopefully by the end of the week....)

-Chris

StephenA
10-15-2003, 17:47
Hey Phillip- didn't realize there was another Ambrose 'round here. You're family's not from the east coast by any chance?

StephenA
10-15-2003, 18:05
Chris- the hole in the core support you're connecting to is the same one that sends air above the fender to the stock filter, right? Do you have to move the battery to get to it? What about water spray getting into the bumper -any drains?

92 Diesel Dude
10-15-2003, 21:04
Turbo Power Howdy! If you look in front of the RH battery down at the bottom there you will find a black plastic moulded air scoop that goes from the grill into the fenderwell. This is where I plan to scavenge my clean air from by removing this air scoop and letting the bumper air push through here. I'm still brain storming as to what exact avenue I will finally take here, but when I'm finished I will scan pics to you some how promise. What kind of T stats are you using? I've never heard of such! Thank's
Diesel Dude.

GMCfourX4
10-16-2003, 08:12
Stephen;
I am going to move the battery, in fact, I'm going to move both of them to gain clearance for the intercooler. My plan is to put the passenger side battery in the location where the air box used to be, and put the air box right behind the headlights. I am going to remove that black plastic air tube. I plan to make a box the close off this corner, and just seal the sides to the hood. It should be up pretty far above the hole in the core support, and if I have a concern about water getting in, I may make a baffle to deflect the water down and away from the filter. I am not going to make the box completely airtight, since the aim is just to get the majority of the air from the cold outside source, and that way water will drain out the bottom. I'll keep you posted smile.gif

itr_hybrid
10-17-2003, 09:07
Stephen,
My family is all out of Pittsburgh, Pa. How 'bout you?

StephenA
10-17-2003, 09:56
Hi Phil,
My dad was from Norfolk, VA & my Mom was good ole Nebraska farm stock. I hardly ever knew anyone on my dad's side, but met some cousins once when I was small in N.Carolina. My dad taught music at Peabody & Vanderbuilt in Nashville. His dad, Festus, was a boat builder who died, along with dad's mom, before I was born.
How 'bout you?

StephenA
10-17-2003, 10:52
Diesel Dude & Chris:
I'm very intersted to see how each of your approaches pans out on air delivery. I'm tempted to just put a fan in the hole on the core support & see how much I can increase air flow in the stock configuration, & use the 97 air mods. Just a thought, not hatched yet.

tom.mcinerney
10-17-2003, 18:59
GMC4*4--Chris, please take a couple fotos and post em or email em when you get a chance.

StephenA
10-17-2003, 22:05
Howdy Diesel Dude: sorry for the late reply- my T-stat is Robertshaw 354 series 195F, availaable thru J Kennedy. The 180F version is available thru Murrays Discount Auto.