PDA

View Full Version : Titanium 5th wheel

JoeyD
11-19-2006, 19:55
Anyone running the Titanium 5th wheel trailers? Likes, Dislikes, problems?
I want to do a trip this summer and see the country and this would be nice.

HarringtonBC
11-21-2006, 12:56
Are you thinking to buy or already own?

Regardless, what size - weight is the Titanium 5ver?

BozDMAX
11-21-2006, 17:31
We shopped for about three years before buying anything. One of the best things we did was join RV Consumers Group http://www.rv.org/ and get some of their literature on how to buy an RV and what to look for when buying.

It made us better buyers, saved us probably $10K (20%) and I bought the RV that really fit us and how we intended to use the thing. We have been full-timing for nearly 3 years now. And still have a LOT to see.

I've talked to a few Titanium owners, and they seemed pretty pleased. I would buy my NUWA Hitchhiker again in a minute. http://www.nuwa.com/

JoeyD
11-22-2006, 14:21
I don't have one yet. I am open to all brands just want a good one with good resale if I wanted out of it.
I have 3 kids and myself and my wife so I need room. I wanted something with bunk beds but most don't have many with the bunks. The titanium line has one and it's a big one which I don't need or want.
It also would not be the end of the world if I skipped the 5th wheel part and went receiver hitch.

chipper
11-22-2006, 15:14
I dont own one but, I have talked to half a dozen owners & no complaints. A little pricey & heavy, so be sure your tow rig is rated for the weight.

BozDMAX
11-22-2006, 16:17
Joey - market for bunkbeds is pretty small, so going that direction could hurt you on resale unless you are willing to wait for a buyer that wants them. I would really recommend again a look at RV consumers group and the books they have on buying.

How you plan to use the thing (4 season, 3 season, full-timer or part-timer, etc) should determine what to look for. I was surprised to see the number of rigs out there that had almost nothing for a payload - not ideal for someone who is going to full-time.

We full time with two sons (16 & 15). We left out the rocker-chairs that are usually in the rear of the trailer and put in a futon. Youngest son sleeps there and the other on the fold out couch. They are kind of reaching the limit of that kind of thing, but it has been working for 3 years and we are getting ready to settle down again.

A 5-er tows so much nicer that a TT, and you will find yourself trying to get into some tight places. If you are just part-timing in warm weather, you might consider a TT and a small camper/bedroom on the truck. I've seen odder things than that in our travels.

JoeyD
11-22-2006, 21:34
My thinking behind the bunks is the kids can be in them without having to fold out a couch or table. They are still small, 5, 7 and 10 so they could fit on a bunk. But if resale is going to hurt then I will skip it.
I have a B&W turnover now that I use for my flat deck trailer and I love the way it handles compared to a receiver hitch set up but could live without it if the right trailer was to be available.
I am not going full time, I want to use it next year for a long trip to see how the rest of the country looks and may end up keeping it on a site in NH after the trip. Not sure yet.
I will join the site you posted for the info it has, thanks for that.

DmaxMaverick
11-22-2006, 22:12
Bunks are handy, and sofa beds are a PITA. But....Bunks take up "permanent space", and sofa beds don't occupy living space unless you (they) are sleeping. Full timing vs. frequent vs. ocasional....set your priorities. The kids having their own "bedroom" is nice, but you sacrifice a good chunk of your square footage to a permanent space only good for one thing. I have often considered tossing the 2 full size recliners in mine for another sofa bed to add sleeping space. I would sacrifice my comfort (arm chair quarterback) for a more efficient sleeping arrangement. I have a 32' Montana Mountaineer 3 slide 5'er, so I'm not lacking floor space. We travel a lot and enjoy our comforts, but it's an RV, afterall. Most of our time is spent outdoors, anyway. My family consists of me, wife and son, but we very often have family/friends as guests, and additional sleeping accommodations would be nice. If it's just a bunch of kids, well, they can sack it on the floor.

Very good point about resale. Bunks are not in demand, and probably less so in a used unit.

JoeyD
11-23-2006, 10:00
I will skip the bunks I think and maybe toss the recliners, great idea. That opens up some options.
My needs are this,
sleep 5, 3 kids 2 adults.
Tows easy, under 10,000lbs
I am doing a cross country trip and will be driving a lot and sleeping at different places along the way. I don't need huge inside room because like everyone says you won't be in it all day we will be out doing stuff. I will go with a generator to make remote use possible.

BozDMAX
11-23-2006, 21:18
If you are going to try to stay under 10K, then you will probably need to give up on some slides. Slides are nice, and slides that open opposite one another really open up the living space. But each probably adds something on the order of 1000 lbs because of changes in the frame, construction, and operating mechanisms. Not to mention the impact on cost.

With a 2500 truck, your GCWR is still 22K or so, just like a 3500. The real limiting factor is usually Rear Axle Weight Rating (RAWR). Dual rears really help in terms of stability and keeping you under the limit. Tires are typically the limiting factor at the rear axle, and you will hit that limiit on a 2500 quicker than you think.

Your B&W hitch has the option of the Companion 5th wheel setup, which has worked very well for us. Initial setup, daily use, and removal are all very easy.

If you can stay under 10K, I think you can go most places even in the west without too much fear of the hills, but I would recommend a book called "The Mountain Directory". There is an east and a west version, pretty much split at the Mississippi River. If you get anywhere near the GCWR, then I highly recommend an exhaust brake, particularly one that is integrated with the Allison grade braking feature. On the subject of books, "The Next Exit" lists business' at EVERY freeway exit in the US - a great book to have when traveling. Camping World is a good source of books.

I have found that the Laptop-based GPS keeps my wife and I talking TO one another rather than yelling at one another ;-)

cowboywildbill
11-24-2006, 09:03
Also keep in mind that a high profile "high square and wide front" fifthwheel adds a lot of wind drag. That is almost as much a mpg factor as weight in certain conditions. Some models have better areodynamic designs that help a little. And a spoiler on the truck in front of the trailer can help also. Just a thought since you are still shopping. I'm sure there are some guys on the forum that can elaborate on that.

royalglen
12-03-2006, 08:49
We have a 03 Titanuim 34` rear livingroom purchased new and have towed it with 2500hd DA crewcab.With the front design of the trailer it cuts the wind better. Most time we hardly know it is on behind.Quality of the unit is reasonable. We have had little trouble in 10000 miles.We added 5000watt Honda water cooled gen set.Makes it easy to dry camp.

letsgo
12-03-2006, 16:20
Was talking to a new owner of a 34' Titanium 2 weeks ago , he was very very pleased with the towing in cross winds, however he wasn't sure whether it was natural or because of 2 options he added. (Jay) sudo) is a bus driver, and has towed various trailers.

1 he was going to have air bags added at the springs, but the dealer suggested that he go with a rubberized shakle that attaches (middle) between each of the tandum springs said it would reduce spring binding at the mid point. it was substantial, anodized, and rubber at 3 points.

2 He had air bags mounted on the 5wheel which I beleave moved the king pin forward a few inches. (hope I used the right term)

I might add for any Canadian towing anything over 10,000# you will require a Z licence for air brakes (soon) a lot of lawn care guys are getting pulled over and fined in the Toronto area, the other question is are you insured in an accident?????

drive safe

Tough Guy
12-03-2006, 21:37
I don't have one yet. I am open to all brands just want a good one with good resale if I wanted out of it.
I have 3 kids and myself and my wife so I need room. I wanted something with bunk beds but most don't have many with the bunks. The titanium line has one and it's a big one which I don't need or want.
It also would not be the end of the world if I skipped the 5th wheel part and went receiver hitch.

JoeyD....

I bought a new Cougar 281EFS in 2003 it weighs ~10,000lbs...I pulled it with my 6.5L for a year then the PSD. The 281 has full-twin bunks in a separate bedroom for the kids with a closet and toy box. One super slide for lots of room and tons of storage. Great trailer! I sold it after owning it for three years and got nearly what I paid for it.

Chris

JoeyD
12-08-2006, 19:47
Chris, What did you pay for it? There seems to be a huge swing in prices depending on brand.

Tough Guy
12-09-2006, 11:26
Chris, What did you pay for it? There seems to be a huge swing in prices depending on brand.

In April of '03 I paid $21,700 for it...I found a dealer that gave discounts for online sales...I had to drive about 5 hours to get the trailer.

Here is a link to the trailer I bought....Its the 281BHS

http://www.keystone-cougar.com/index.html?page=ec_floorplans

Chris

jwlbal
12-21-2006, 07:46
I'm coming in a bit late on this thread, but given the time of year, I expect you haven't made a purchase yet.

First of all, once you have towed and lived with a fifth wheel, you would never consider going back to a conventional travel trailer. Absolutely no sway, and with the right truck you'll never know its back there. You have so much more useable space as well.

Bunkhouse floor plans are in fact a sizeable art of the market, just look at what's on the road. You cannot beat having a place to send the kids at bedtime, and not have to set up a place for them to sleep!

One of the best places to educate yourself is the www.rv.net Open Roads Forum.

I have a 2004 Silv CC SB D/A LLY, equipped with a PullRite Superglide hitch. I'm towing a 2004 Terry Quantum 2952BS.

sjlinto
12-23-2006, 12:30
We have a titanium 29e34ts and are quite pleased with it.

What I liked was the ability to use a short bed truck and the areodynamic design. Last trip I averaged 12mpg pulling with a 05 GMC 2wd SB. Tows very nice, hardly feel the big rigs, wind etc.

Only minor problems with the trailer. I was able to brreak my back window of my truck with a 90 deg. jack-knife. Worst part is I had a slider but didn't use it. Most manuvers don't need the slider.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get.

arveetek
12-27-2006, 09:39
The number of trailers with bunks are on the rise again. I work for an RV dealer in Missouri, and we have several different trailers on the lot with bunks, and have ordered even more. We're seeing a very noticable upswing in bunk requests, as RV owners continue to get younger and younger. I think the used bunk trailer market is going to be very good over the next several years.

Joey,

Definitely plan on getting a Companion 5th wheel hitch for your B&W hitch. They're absolutely awesome! I believe they are a much better quality hitch than even Reese. They're rated for 18,000 lbs and tow very, very nice. Don't consider anything else.

Casey

JoeyD
12-28-2006, 21:47
Casey, If I go with the companion will I get to close to the cab in a sharp turn or is it even an issue with the Titanium?

arveetek
12-29-2006, 09:50
Casey, If I go with the companion will I get to close to the cab in a sharp turn or is it even an issue with the Titanium?

You'll be fine with the Companion. We install them all the time on shortbeds. The Companion has adjustable uprights that allow you to move the hitch head front to back.

I'd say that 90% of all our 5th-wheel hitches are installed in shortbed trucks these days. Rarely do we install a slider hitch anymore. Most of the RV manufacturers have designed their trailers to allow ample clearance for normal driving with a shortbed truck and standard hitch.

You still need to watch your cab to trailer clearance, you won't be able to do a 90 degree turn as if you had a longbed, but rarely do you ever need to jacknife your rig anyway.

Casey