PDA

View Full Version : parking brake

Clean your ducts in PA
11-19-2006, 22:08
snapped a rotted parking brake cable going to one of the drums. After looking around some, I think I should go ahead and replace both of the cables.. (looks like one running to the petal / left brake, and another running from a bracket halfway down the cable to the right brake) Any place I can get these besides a dealer? I tried searching the forum, came up empty.

thanks

DennisG01
11-20-2006, 07:36
try www.gmpartsdirect.com

if you don't find it listed on their website, try directly entering the gm part number or e-mail them with the part number.

redbird2
11-20-2006, 07:46
They can be purchased from most automotive part places how every you get what you pay for. We have used aftermarket one in the past on our fleet trucks only to have them sieze up after as short as 16 months the OEM replacements seem to last a lot longer I have some on trucks for as long as we owned the trucks 1990 and newer. So for the extra few bucks go with OEM and only do the job one time, gm parts direct is a good place to go there prices are as good as it gets, you may look around and see if there are in large GM dealers in your area that sell close to wholesale as move high volumes of parts and pass along savings to the averge guy as well.
good luck make sure to check lug studs for rusting and pitting good time to replace them as well.

Clean your ducts in PA
11-20-2006, 11:41
thanks for the fast feedback! I found a place ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1034525,parttype,1696 ) that has multiple listings for either Raybestos, or Wagner parking brake cables. Im going to head to GM and see what part number they give me and what there price is.