PDA

View Full Version : Edge Juice LB7 customer service issues.

siggy
11-21-2006, 18:04
Just got off the phone with a tech rep at Edge. I described how my LB7 box, ( ver 4.73n 3/5/2004) which is 6 months or so past the 2 yr warranty, has been causing my truck to die, primarily while towing up a grade, not a fun situation. The Edge folks have always been helpful in the past and I'm fairly happy with the performance when all is working properly. Very quickly in the phone conversation, the fact that my box is out of warranty was brought up, followed by silence. I mentioned that I had been told by other Duramax drivers that this was a heat related component issue and I was under the impression that Edge had acknowledged some problem, and gosh, this is a $835 (Kennedy) purchase than hasn't made it 3 years. I was then accused of getting pushy and rude (!)... and told that they have no obligation whatsoever to address my concern, that I might possibly be able to get an upgrade after Dec. 15th, but that would cost me $250. Not at all the type of support I was expecting from Edge, and the idea that it might cost me $1100 total for a functional unit. I'm disappointed to say the least, and this is somewhat a safety issue. Does anyone have a suggestion? Did I just draw the short straw by getting this particular tech rep? ( A guy named Aaron)

speeddrive1
11-21-2006, 19:39
Your not the only one. I also have a edge w att and it gave me problems in the cold temps. You could tell if the truck was going to start or not if when you turn the key on and att didnt light up was going to be a no start situation. So I called edge and they said no problem and sen me a brand new unit. This one only lasted about 6 months and started doing the interm. start thing. Now I am out of warranty by 3 months from original purchace, and they told me I could upgrade for something like $583.00 . I asked them if they were nuts. The first one lasted 1yr 9mo and the second brand new last 6mo. Do I trust that another new one will last?

Mark Rinker
11-22-2006, 04:39
Sounds like their customer service department is the one with "attitude".

I would document your situation in writing, and get it to the head of their customer service department. Leave out all emotion and anger. Just the dates, facts and your expectations.

SoTxPollock
11-30-2006, 12:07
Don't take this wrong now I know you did what you thought you should do, but IMHO you should have gone back to Kennedy and asked his help to get Edge to work with you. I know we men don't like to have to ask for help, but sometimes you will actually get help. In fact it may not be too late, if their customer service would rather deal with someone other than you. Just a suggestion for what its worth.
Just checked the weather, looks like in Great Lakes area wind chill is -9 degrees F. If cold is the problem, there should be a rash of calls to edge if that really is the problem, many others will probably have the same or similar problems. Hope mine starts when I go out there this afternoon. The temp's have dropped over 40 degrees in 6 hours. I can just see all that condensation happening on the inside of everything that's holding warm air inside it.

conway
11-30-2006, 18:14
I appreciate the info on this manufacturer. It saves me from purchasing their product. I do not make the customer pay for my mistakes. I would expect the same consideration from vendors. I have found Kennedy Diesel very responsive. Because of that, I would lean toward dealing with him and his custom tunes.

dieseldummy
11-30-2006, 23:27
I have a friend that has had the same problem with his edge and their customer service attitude. The box would quite in when underhood temps got warmer this summer. They basicly gave him the runaround. Very poor customer service IMO. For what these things cost they better be perfect. There are other tuners that offer the same features as edge without the problems.

KenR
12-06-2006, 17:24
Reports like this are exactly why I haven't bought an Edge product yet. I've come close to getting a Juice with Attitude but every time I do one of these service stories pops up.

I have a good friend with a Ford PSD who had an Edge Juice with an A2 controller installed about three months ago. I've lost track of how many times he's had to take it back for one reason or another. I took an 800 mile trip with him and the thing only booted up about half the time without having to shut the truck down and start over. They keep doing software updates but it hasn't seemed to improve the reliability, at least in his case.

These tuners cost too much money to have to fool around with issues and poor customer service IMO.

Kennedy
12-07-2006, 10:45
Edge customer service is generally second to none. The warranty term is 2yrs and there's just not a whole lot a guy can do about it. I personally have had good luck with these units, but favor the older ones for better reliability.

I will say though that because of the various hardware issues creeping up with the harness boxes, I am leaning more towards loading a tune to the ECM (tooting my KD Custom tunes horn) and eliminating the potential for hardware issues...

AmericanThunder
12-21-2006, 12:59
I was a beta tester for the LBZ Edge/Attitude unit...Had a probe go bad, Rob said they shipped it out and after 3 weeks of not receiving it I purchased my own. Now the box is intermittently shutting down the truck and I can't get a phone call/email/smoke signal answered. I have been a supporter of the edge products for what seems like forever however something happened over there and they had better straighten it out before its too late. Rob you listening?

JeepSJ
12-21-2006, 19:35
I was involved in the beta program for one of their gasser units. At the start of the program, their support was excellent and they were very interested in feedback and were very quick to respond to problems. Then they got bought by MSD, and everything changed. They actually released the unit to production even though there were known issues...major issues...issues like crashing during the upload and corrupting the program in the ECU. I love the unit, but it would be a difficult decision to buy a new one.

siggy
02-21-2007, 17:55
Update: I got a RMA from Edge and sent the unit back with the monitor, expecting to exchange it for a refurb w/$, instead they re-flashed it and said it passed all bench tests it, and returned it at no charge to me. Haven't run it yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that all is repaired. I'm wondering primarily because I had read here that the issue was the spec level of internal components and Edge re-flashed the same unit but with an updated software program. Fingers are crossed!