PDA

View Full Version : Manual to automatic conversion?

RT
11-21-2006, 22:12
Hey All,
My 93 C2500HD just rolled over 240,000miles. It is a 5speed, NV4500 transmission. A new clutch disk was installed at 118K. The clutch fork, pivot ball, throwout and pilot bearing where changed at 165K. Due to some miracle the original dual-mass flywheel is still in service and working fine.

The past couple of weeks the clutch seems to be engaging very high in the pedal travel. I am guessing that the disk is approaching the end of its life. I would also guess that the dual-mass is also showing its age.

I am also a bit tired of shifting gears in this lovely New England traffic. In Texas the 5speed was fine but here its a drag sometimes. Since the truck is in great shape and worth keeping I am considering/wondering about a conversion to an automatic transmission.

So the question is what transmission? The 4L80E or a TH400 with a Gearvendors overdrive on it? The 4L80E is pricey but available in junkyards. Aftermarket computers are available to run it. The TH400 is cheap and available but the Gearvendors OD is not. The OD unit would have to be had used and they do turn up. Auto brake pedals are easy junkyard parts and the shifter can be a simple B&M aftermarket unit.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, RT

More Power
11-21-2006, 23:59
If you work the truck, a 4L80-E would be my choice. If it's used more for just transportation, a diesel-built 700R4 or 4L60-E would do a good job, along with an external ATF cooler.

Gear Vendors & US Gear OD units along with a TH400 would also provide a usable combo, though the lack of a locking TC could reduce fuel economy when compared to a L80/L60.

Jim

DA BIG ONE
11-22-2006, 04:12
The 700r4 or 4L60e w/their lower 1st gear would be the choice since you have 3.42 diff. A towing converter w/lock & lower the stall speed the better IMHO because of the 6.5's tq.

NOTE: If going w/700 r 4 make sure you get one w/case manufactured after 1987, otherwise you'll have nightmares because of failures. Trans can be built almost bullet proof these days, and with such a build and proper cooling will far outlast anything stock.

B&M's SuperCooler w/fan & thermostat control would top off project nicely.

trbankii
11-23-2006, 17:36
How much to let me take the NV4500 off your hands once it's out of the truck? :)

aloharovers
11-23-2006, 20:40
How much to let me take the NV4500 off your hands once it's out of the truck? :)

Had the exact same thought when I read the first post :)

I am dieing to swap out the SM465 for a NV4500

Turbo Al
11-24-2006, 13:56
Ok I will pay the shipping for the NV4500 to my place, you want to pay the shipping for an auto and everything else you need to your place?? LOL
Just trying to purchase a wrecked TD with and auto in it for the motor can't get a hold of the owner yet truck is sitting across the steet at one of my neighbours tawnting me -- can't look at it because of the rottie and pitt bull in the yard. Talked to him last week in passing but he has not got back to me.

Al