PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate Shaft Clunk

Falk781
11-22-2006, 10:25
So I'm sure that most are plauged with this problem and it doesn't make sense to me why GM doesn't fix this for good.

Anyway, I spoke with an Engineer from NYE lubricants (noted on TSB) who worked on and developed the grease that GM uses to fix this problem. He actually sent me a1/2 pound container of this stuff for free and sent it next day air.

I also went to the dealership and picked up the injection kit which has the prescribed grease loaded inside with the plug.

I will take pictures of the kits and grease and post them up here when I finish the project.

There are 1000's of greases and lubricants out there, each for their own purpose, so I thought it would be best to go right to the source.

More Power
11-22-2006, 13:02
Thanks for your input. I'd like to see the photos. :)

Jim

Falk781
11-23-2006, 20:18
So the job took me about 2 hours and the attached photos explain the process.

I can tell you that the consistency of the lube that GM provides in the 14.00 kit is like toothpaste to the stuff I'm about to show you.

I actually ran the GM lube through it as instructed then I pumped the Rheolube through since it was heavier.

After a road test, the noise was gone.

Unfortunately I could not compress the photos any greater than what they are and the limits are of uploading are just to low.

There is a clip located on the end opposite the universal joint that you have to take out. That is where the grease goes. Once that's been done, the plug is inserted and the shaft is extended and retracted allowing the grease to get on the splines inside. This dampens the noise. Remove the plug and reinstall. Any questions, just let me know.

DmaxMaverick
11-23-2006, 20:29
Excellent write-up an photos. Thanks!

Regarding the image size....
Try using the Photo Album (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost). It has an account ready for every registered user, and the photo size limit (no count limit) is much more than the forum. It will also reduce image sizes automatically, making all the sizes available for viewing, and displays the URL to use in forum posting.