PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Starter Options?

WeaselWerks
11-22-2006, 22:36
Does anyone know if any after market 'compact' high-torque starter motors exist for the 6.2s? I'm doing a conversion and with the motor mount adapters I have, the mount is right where the starter brace needs to go. Anyone have any suggestions for a starter thats 2-3" shorter than stock, or should I be looking into a different set of motor mount adapters?

Thanks.

PS I see that Powermaster makes a high-torque starter, but it's the same length as the OEM one.

DmaxMaverick
11-22-2006, 23:18
Any of the 6.5 gear reduction starters work on the 6.2. Problem is, the original 6.2 starter is far and away better than a GR starter. If you have to use your motor mount adapters, the GR starter will work, but not as well as an OEM direct drive. Either way you go, be absolutely sure to install the front starter bracket.

Robyn
11-23-2006, 08:42
What are you putting the engine in??
I prefer the direct drive units too.
I have been told by a local rebuilder that the direct drive starters wont take the abuse of long grinds as well as the GR units. I have seen them both apart on the bench and the Direct drive is real stout compared to the GR.
GM did not go to GR units to give us a better starter, it was to save them money!!!
A Direct drive starter will snap a 6.2 over and start it when its warm with just a quick burp of the starter, the GR on the other hand will require a little twisting to wind the little diesel rat to life.
Sounds like you may need to get a little creative with your Mounts so you can get a real starter stuffed in the hole.

Robyn

WeaselWerks
11-23-2006, 10:13
Thanks for the advice guys.

I live up in Canada, so -40 in the winter is not out of the question. I think I would definitely need all the cranking power I can get, and don't like the idea of having to frequently change out a GR starter in those sorts of conditions.

I'm trying to stuff the engine in an '88 S-10 4WD pickup. It's been done with a big-block, so I can't see the diesel being much different, except with more emphasis on cooling capacity. The plan is for an economy highway daily-driver. (700R4 and 3.42 stock gears, cruising at 62MPH) I have access to a fabrication shop that builds tundra buggies from scratch, so I'm not too concerned about some nip/tucking to make it fit.

Any comments/suggestions?

DmaxMaverick
11-23-2006, 10:48
In your situation, it's a tough call. The GR's are 1/2 the weight and size (and cost). The don't necessarily require more frequent replacement, but are more sensetive to electrical issues.

If I were doing your build, I would use the smaller, lighter GR starter, even as much as I dislike them. I'd also ensure my electrical system, especially batteries and cables/grounds, are in tip-top shape all the time. You may find later that the R/R process of a starter will make the smaller and lighter much prefered. They are a PITA under the best conditions, and the weight/size of the DD's doesn't help matters. I've replaced many of them "single handed", but I sure wished I were somewhere else at the time. Something else that has come up recently is shimming. I've never had to shim a 6.2/6.5 starter, but some reports lately indicate it may be necessary with the later GR's. If you still have the engine out, now would be the time to get that right.

Either way you go, install by the numbers. Use correct bolts (GM prefered), torque them, and install the front bracket. Retorque at every service interval. You may never have issues with either.

Robyn
11-23-2006, 11:28
If you are going to use a GR be sure and use a starter relay to run the solenoid as opposed to wiring it directly to the ignition switch.
The Gr's solenoids pull some big amps to engage and hold them. I did this on my 6.5 Burb and Oh what a difference it made.

WeaselWerks
11-23-2006, 12:00
Wow. Once again thanks for the help!

Any recommendations on a manufacturer, or a part number for a decent GR starter?

Robyn
11-23-2006, 12:07
Well I would get one from a decent local rebuilder.
The auto parts store rebuilts are generally junk.
A factory new one is gonna be costly.
Any GR starter for the 6.2/6.5 family will work fine

arveetek
11-23-2006, 12:37
I've bought and installed two of these DB Electrical starters (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-New-Chevy-GMC-Starter-6-2-6-5-Diesel-High-T-6468_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33576QQihZ003QQite mZ130050343790QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) for my current two diesels, and I'm extremely pleased with both of them. My 6.2L starts just as good with the GR starter as it did with the direct-drive (once I got my glow-plug issues resolved!).

Casey

WeaselWerks
11-23-2006, 18:44
Arveetek, those DB starters look good, do you happen to know what the overall length of the unit is?

Thanks!

NH2112
11-23-2006, 19:39
I've had much better luck with gear reduction starters than I did with the original direct-crive models. Regardless of the DD starter make, I never had one last more than a year - I'm talking Westling rebuilds, NAPA rebuilds, or new Delcos. I've had a single gear reduction starter for 3 years now, it hasn't given me a single problem even with only 1 battery to turn it. I don't think the 27MT direct drives are any better than the 28MTs; I've worked on a LOT of IR & Gradall forklifts, Terex boomlifts, etc, with 28MT-equipped 3.9l Cummins and even though we'd CRANK and CRANK and CRANK these block-heater-not-plugged-in-or-no-ether-start-equipped machines to get them started in subzero temps, I never had to replace a starter.

My advice? Get the GR starter. It spins slower but cranking RPM is still more than adequate to get a cold engine started. The lower amp draw of the GR makes the battery last longer.

Oh yeah - my GR was a $95 eBay model. Parts stores around here wanted $300+.

arveetek
11-24-2006, 09:20
Arveetek, those DB starters look good, do you happen to know what the overall length of the unit is?

Thanks!

I don't know the exact figure, but it's the same overall length as the stock DD or GR starters.

Casey

tomtaylor
11-12-2013, 08:34
Well came on here as usual to read posts about some issue I am curious about. DD & GR starters, which one should I try on my 6.2 and it seems there is mixed opinions however it also seems that the GR is worth a try as some people would swear by them while others not so much. I am probably going to try it out. Good thread. it's great to have access to real experiences, helps a lot.