PDA

View Full Version : Intro and ????

Railroad Bob
11-25-2006, 03:58
Hello from Fairbanks, AK

New here, have been going thru the threads, and plan to read much more.

Currently have an 86 1 ton reg cab long bed with 6.2L, 4 spd and 4.55 gears with a Western 7.5' plow with Unimount. Used very little, almost completely for personal snow plowing as needed. Would like to increase usage, but need to sort out some wiring issues first.
Ordered and received the manual for the 6.2L from TDP. Very good read.

Recently found for sale, a 2000 K3500 Crew Cab long bed with the 6.5LTD.
Truck has 152,000 miles, seller is asking $9000.

I've seen the ad running for the last 2 weeks, but have not driven the vehicle.

The seller has told me I can have the truck checked out by a shop. What would be areas of concern with this vehicle, and what should I tell a shop to be especially vigilant about.

Thanks for any response.

Bnave95
11-25-2006, 06:02
Price sounds high,ask $7500 if all is well.
Take the Vin number to a dealer and this will give a history to repairs that have been needed and done. We seem to rank the injection pump as a high item. You will read alot about how we remount the PMD away from the pump and then call it a FSD.
We check the OPS (oil psi switch) that controls the lift pump that feeds the injector pump. Injectors can be of concern after 100k. Than we go onto the glow plug's. Chance are most of these's items may have been replaced. The Vin number check will tell much unless work was done by owner. This would be my case. Asking these question also the owner may answer.
There's many question that can be ask using the Search at the top.
Also many of us just like to help so ask away :)
BTW,Welcome;)

Dvldog8793
11-25-2006, 20:14
Howdy
Have the block preasure tested for leaks. head gaskets and cracked blocks can be a problem. Supposedly this should have been fixed by the time this truck was made. The 2000 should have been the last of the best 6.5s that GM used. Also it should have had the better of the pumps and the best final factory tuned ECM. I would agree that the price is a little high, but maybe the market is differnet in AK.
Hope this helps...
L8r
Conley

Railroad Bob
11-25-2006, 22:42
Thanls for the replies, I'll call the seller tomorrow.