PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 glow plugs and harness

BAD5oh
11-25-2006, 16:23
I need to replace the glow plug harness in my 84 since only half of it is hanging on. I cannot find them anywhere unless I'm not looking hard enough. Can anyone point me in the right directions. Also a recomendation for glow plugs. Truck has no mods and I'm in New England so what would be best for me??? I have no problem plugging the truck in but don't want to have to rely on it if I'm out for a weekend

EDIT: After some searching it seems as though the glow plug harness is part of the main harness. The reason I want to change it is because 4 of the wires have broken ends but also many of them are bare and brittle. Looks like they either got too close to the manifold or just overheated.

More Power
11-27-2006, 01:55
If I had a 1982-84 6.2L diesel, and needed to update the glow system, I'd convert to the 1985-93 glow controller and get a new(er) glow harness made for a late 90's 6.5. And, I'd install AC-60G plugs or Kennedy's Quick Heat plugs. Both plugs did a good job in our tests.

The following image is of a new 6.5TD glow harness I obtained from www.peninsulardiesel.com (http://www.peninsulardiesel.com). It was a new factory "take-off" (meaning less expensive than when bought at a dealer) harness that incorporates ceramic spade terminal connectors and heat resistant wiring. You may need to alter it slightly. If so, shorten it farther away from the glow plug terminals to preserve the fusible link wiring.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/ceramicglow05.jpg

Jim

BAD5oh
11-27-2006, 20:42
I couldn't find it on the link you gave but what would that harness cost?? Also is it just a direct splice in to where my original harness is or is there additional wiring to be done?

More Power
11-28-2006, 00:38
The 1985-93 glow controller is about 60% of the cost of a 1982-84 glow controller, and it'll bolt right on (after plugging the hole where the early controller screwed in). A lot lower cost and better reliability combine to produce a really good glow system modification. I highly recommend it to anyone who is experiencing problems with the earlier glow controller.

Once you have the 1985-93 glow controller in-place, the above harness will connect/bolt right on. You'd only need to shorten a couple of the wires to better fit a NA 6.2/6.5. You could leave the wires long. Won't hurt anything, except for a little clutter.

The pictured harness was a take-off item, meaning it was removed from a new drop-in engine that was converted to marine use by Peninsular. I doubt it's a stock item. Give them a call to learn about price & availability. Failing that, you could visit your local GM dealer, show them a picture of the glow harness, say it's for a 1998 6.5L turbodiesel Suburban, then ask them to order you one. :)

Jim

BAD5oh
11-28-2006, 16:34
The 85-up controller is the relay and controller in one correct??? I called penn-engines and they said their harnesses are all one piece with the glow plugs and everything else for the engine. I told him about the harness you have and he was nice about it saying to contact another guy there and see if he can help. I e-mailed him and sent him a pic of the harness so hopefully they can help

thanks

vr1967
12-22-2006, 08:44
Morepower,
I was asked last night about doing this very same thing on a friends 84 GMC with a Banks turbo'd 6.2. I have a 93 6.5 parts truck, and also a 95 6.5 with wiring and all from a Cummins Conversion, so I think I should have the wiring and the controller.
I figure I could use the harness from the 95 and modify if needed, and the controller from the 93.
What would I need to do with the wiring from the 84's glow plug control switch on the head? Also, would I need to replace the control switch with a Temp inhibit switch?
In looking at the 93 controller, I think I have the wiring figured out-
E- ground
D- ign?
C- glowplugs (thru inhibit switch?)
B- engine crank input
A- blank

Also, would I need to eliminate the solenoid (relay?) on the fender of 84? I am more familiar with the later style system.

Thanks
Virgil