PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use John Deere 0W-40 oil?

1 Broke Dad
11-26-2006, 10:29
Do any of you guys use the John Deere 0W-40 oil on your 6.5L engines? I have heard good things about it but I thought I would ask before dumping it in.

Thanks!!!

Robyn
11-26-2006, 10:53
HMMMM Interesting
I have always used 15-40 Rotella T in all my diesels.
I am not sure of any real advantage. to the 0-40.
I try to use the original manufactures recommendations as a base.
In really hot climate I would run 30wt in a 6.5
If cold is the issue I think the 15-40 is a pretty good choice.
My one question to you is why??
Are you searching to solve a problem or is this new oil a curriousity??
Just my ramblings
Let us know
Always here to help, harass, insult, promote hate and discontent, wish success and otherwise have a great time.
Best to ya
Robyn

Artworks
11-26-2006, 16:47
I have been using Case - IH 0W-40 when weather gets cold here in great white north. I feel it helps on cold starts . I use 15W-40 in summer. I would guess that Case and John Deere is same oil. I been thinking of going to Amsoil , but haven't as of vet, because I can get the Case-IH in bulk localy at a decent price.

K. D.
11-26-2006, 19:33
I have been using 0W-40 oil as long as it's been available. When the temps hit -40*, engine won't even crank using 15-40. We also get some real extremes in temp changes here, last week it was +20 C , now tonight forecast is for -30 C.

You do need to check the level of detergent in the oil, we use a Heavy duty diesel oil at work that comes with a warning label. "Not for use in light duty diesel engines"

K.D.

Robyn
11-26-2006, 21:38
For you folks that live in the parts of the country that see these reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely cold temps this stuff probably is the cats meow.
I have had to start rigs at -40F with 30W in the crank case. Camp stove under the truck with a tarp wrapped around to keep the wind out.
How well does this oil grade work in more temperate temps??
When do you start using it??

Iain
11-27-2006, 08:26
I use 15W/40 in the summer but switch to a 5W/40 full synthetic in the winter as it is too cold to run 15W/40. I find the synthetic is much easier on the engine to start in sub 0 degrees C (colder than 32F) and it will start circulating much quicker as well. The engine runs a little quieter as well.

RT
11-27-2006, 13:23
I run Chevron Delo 400 5w-40 FULL SYNTHETIC year round. I tried running regular 15w-40 in the summer but my motor has some miles on it and the lifters rattle with 15w-40. Super smooth on the synthetic. Oil analysis supports 4000mile oil change intervals. Truck starts MUCH easier in winter with the synthetic. RT

Mark Rinker
11-27-2006, 13:50
Ditto on the detergent package comment. Do your homework. Personally, I'd run a straight synthetic or synthetic blend purposely marketed for light diesel trucks. Mobil Delvac has treated me right so far, with very little burned between oil changes compared to Rotella, which I can't keep in my 6.5s.

I know that stuff will kill a small gasser engine from mistakes made back on the farm by my dad - he ran our JD diesel bulk oil meant for the 4430 and 4630 in small, air cooled engines (lawnmowers, rototiller, powerwashers, etc.) until he killed a couple of them (abnormal ring/cylinder wear) and was set straight by the small engine repair shop when they found out what he was doing...