PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-27-2006, 21:09
Just wondering if any one has had any experience with disconnecting the oil cooler? Here's the deal. My dad just got his truck back on the road a month and bit ago and his oil was smelling burnt. Further investigation found that his oil cooler lines had been disconnected so his oil was overheating. Since Saturday, the area I live in has experienced an unseasonable cold snap. (Not supposed to get cold until Christmas) and we've actually got snow, (almost a foot in the valley bottom. Time to make donuts:eek: ) The temperature right now is 6 degrees F (-14 C) and ever since it went below zero, if I don't plug the truck in, it takes forever to get it idling smoothly. My oil pressure will be around or at peak pressure (550 kpa) until the truck has reached normal engine temperature and maintained it for ten minutes. My question, (yes it took a while to get to it, ) is, if I disconnect the lines and put plugs in, will this help to warm up my oil faster? Thanks,

DmaxMaverick
11-27-2006, 21:33
It will heat up faster, but it won't stop there. The oil can overheat, even in the cold you are seeing. Don't do it.

Use a true synthetic oil. Normally, a 15-40 would be fine, but you may need a 5 or 0 -40/30 if those temps hang around. You'd be amazed at the difference a synthetic oil will make. Mobil-1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple have good stuff.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
11-27-2006, 22:39
It will heat up faster, but it won't stop there. The oil can overheat, even in the cold you are seeing. Don't do it.

Use a true synthetic oil. Normally, a 15-40 would be fine, but you may need a 5 or 0 -40/30 if those temps hang around. You'd be amazed at the difference a synthetic oil will make. Mobil-1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple have good stuff.

Okay thanks. The last time that I did an oil change, I used our shops 15-40 bulk oil, that we get from Husky/Esso. The trucks up for another oil change at 315,000 kms as I do a change every 5,000 kms, so maybe then I will get some synthetic oil in the house.:D See what that does for the engine.

JohnC
11-28-2006, 12:13
If you plug the oil cooler lines you are forcing all the oil to flow through the oil cooler bypass valve. I can't see how that could be a good thing....