PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter problem/dilemma!

RT
11-27-2006, 23:08
Hello All,
My factory Stanadyne fuel filter started leaking today on my '93 C2500HD. The geniuses at GM made it next to impossible to remove the fuel lines on the bottom of the filter housing so it could be easily removed so I had to pull the intake manifold to get the darned thing out.

I disassembled the Stanadyne and found the O-rings on the heater and the water sensor to be very hard and compressed. My guess is this is where the leak is coming from. I ended up installing long hoses to route the fuel lines to the drivers side of the engine compartment with the intention of relocating the fuel filter. I then reassembled the intake, etc, just happened to have a set of intake gaskets....

I reassembled the Stanadyne fuel filter with the old O-rings as it was too late to go looking for new parts. I then did a temporary install of the fuel filter on the drivers side fenderwell with zip-ties and such. The filter still leaks but not nearly as bad as before. I really socked the heater locking ring down hard when I reassembled it.

So the question is: Replace the Stanadyne unit with a new stock style or go with a Racor,etc.? Should I leave it relocated or put it back in the stock location? I am leaning to the Racor and leaving it on the fender. Easier to service. Any recommendations on the Racor? Gph ratings and such?

Your thoughts are appreciated, Thanks, RT

Dvldog8793
11-28-2006, 09:47
Howdy
I seem to remember some one putting bigger fuel lines in all the way around and haveing a noticeable increase in power???
I havent tried it but if you have the thing apart already it might not hurt...
My only thought on what type of filter is that withe GM unit you can get filters anyplace and parts are readily available also.
L8r
Conley

NH2112
11-28-2006, 14:01
If you're only going to have 1 filter, I'd use a 2-micron Racor. Ideally (IMO) you'd be able to keep the factory filter as the primary and install the Racor after it as a secondary, but space can be an issue under the hood. As far as availability goes, I think Racor elements and parts are probably more common than Model 100 parts. HD truck centers, marine suppliers, and many parts houses carry Racor stuff. There's always stuff on eBay too, so you can stock up for the foreseeable future without spending a lot. I picked up a case of 6 R60S Racor elements for $80 incl shipping, they normally run $35-$40 each locally. I generally only change my secondary filter after every 2nd or 3rd primary filter change, so those 6 filters will probably last me at least 6 years.

tommac95
11-30-2006, 21:12
The OEM filter assy does a lot when operating properly. The OEM mounting precludes the sort of access required to guarantee its proper function. A second filter contributes reliability. I have two OEMs in series (got a second from Avant Salvage @$25) , as price worked .

If only one , go Racor for serviceability.

Turbine Doc
12-01-2006, 09:10
Howdy
I seem to remember some one putting bigger fuel lines in all the way around and haveing a noticeable increase in power???
I havent tried it but if you have the thing apart already it might not hurt...
My only thought on what type of filter is that withe GM unit you can get filters anyplace and parts are readily available also.
L8r
Conley

It's still running well Conley in this post http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=2272 are links to image station for filter mgr mods I did, I've re-thunk OEM location I'll be relocating to firewall or fender so it's easier to maintain, I now have a 6.5 Burb as well, I'll be using a GTeck to monitor results of mods added to it as I ad them something I did not do with the truck , hope to generate some data to go with my seat of pant impressions for this mod.