PDA

View Full Version : injectors--now it's my turn

redrider#1
11-28-2006, 09:36
I have been having white smoke at idle for about 2 months now, and it has been getting worse. Exhaust smells bad, not "making oil", no loss of power, but I have noticed the engine is making a clicking noise when cold and seems to go away somewhat after warmed up. Anyway, took it to the stealer yesterday, and she is getting 8 new injectors at no charge. I thought I would just share this info in case anyone else has these symptoms but with no loss of power and no fuel in oil----it may still be injectors. I am proud of the stealership(maybe I should show more respect)--the dealership-- since they gave me no grief whatsoever and plan on completing the work in a day and a half. I just hope they do the job right the first time. Oh, and yes, I did remember to take the Edge out beforehand.

redrider#1
11-30-2006, 14:35
OK.....Got the truck back today on the way to work. It took the stealer an extra day (about 2 1/2 days total), but I won't hold that against them because from what I can tell, they did a first rate job. The engine runs much quieter now and the clicking/loud diesel type noise is gone. No smoke at idle, and I got an oil change as well---all at no charge and no hassle over whether all this is covered on warranty or not. I am once again a happy camper!!!

speeddrive1
11-30-2006, 19:28
did you leave the juice on or take it off b4 going to dealer?

Zapper
12-01-2006, 12:12
You should also have gotten a fuel filter change as part of the service bulletin. Make sure, as my dealer didn't change mine. I was lucky enough to have a copy of the bulletin. They said they were not aware of it, but I'm guessing they were trying to save a buck and some time. Anyway check it out.

redrider#1
12-01-2006, 17:41
speedrive1-----yep, took the edge off first and service manager made no
mention of the egt probe and the big edge sticker in my back
glass.

zapper-----I changed my fuel filter(per More Power's suggestion) and drove
straight to the dealer to keep them from blaming the problem on
lack of filter maintenance, but thanks for the helpful info.

FYI----I had also noticed some vibration in the cab bad enough to make me "adjust" the dash and the plastic on the front of the dash every time I started her up to get it to quit rattling.....Now it purrs as smooth as a kitten, and no vibrating dash whatsoever.

paoutdoorsman
12-03-2006, 07:27
RedRider, thanks for sharing your positive dealership service experience. How many miles on your truck?

redrider#1
12-03-2006, 13:16
RedRider, thanks for sharing your positive dealership service experience. How many miles on your truck?

47,700 miles.....So if these last about another 50k miles, then I will be dangerously close to the 100k cutoff. I sure hope the rumors are right that the 2004's warranty will be extended to 200k miles next year, or that my dealer will go ahead and do the work even if I am over 100k(as I have heard reported here from other members with 2004 trucks). Otherwise, I may be out about $4k if it happens again. Maybe additional filtration is in my future, but I have seen others here with additional filtration from day 1 still have injector problems. I love my truck so much that I am more than willing to overlook this injector issue, for now......

epa1775
12-03-2006, 19:54
Do you have to have problems with the injectors to get them replaced? I purchased my truck used and not sure if I need new ones. It has a little over 72500 miles and it's an 02. Obviously I want to get them replaced if need be before my warranty runs out. Thanks for any help.

Pete

DmaxMaverick
12-03-2006, 20:05
Do you have to have problems with the injectors to get them replaced? I purchased my truck used and not sure if I need new ones. It has a little over 72500 miles and it's an 02. Obviously I want to get them replaced if need be before my warranty runs out. Thanks for any help.

Pete

You have 7 years or 200K miles from the date of original delivery. If they haven't been done, wait as long as you can. You shouldn't worry about it until Fall of 2008 gets close. Of course, don't wait if they go south on you.