PDA

View Full Version : 2 ?'s too. AC60's, and extending Glow time

MTTwister
08-17-2005, 13:01
1 - I picked up some AC 60 glow plugs. I expected to see "AC 60 G" stamped on the m somewhere. These do have AC Delco and a larger number ( don't have it handy - can get if it's relevant). Should I be seeing the AC60G?

2 - Extending the Glow cycle time - There have been articles written up with exotic delay relays, etc.
Why would't a single pole - double throw switch work also. It would be in series with the Temp Sensor, one position with a 5000 ohm resistor, to increase glow time by @4 seconds, (depends on temp and resistence - per chart),
and the other position would break the ground - telling the computer it was a Max cold (hmm - maybe that's Min cold??) anyway -40

Iain
08-18-2005, 04:32
The AC Delco plugs will have 60G stamped on them, I beleive it is stamped on the square tab that the wire hooks to. Some of them are faint to read.

For your glow plug relay, the simpliest is to use a solinoid hooked in with the controller and a simple push switch that you could use to extend the glow times. I purchased the glow plug relay from Penninsular Diesel and the only problem I found was that the glow times were fixed unless you crawled under the dash and reset them to a higher or lower setting. But it also had a third position on the switch for manually extending the glow time if a bit more was needed. So I have rigged mine up with the solinoid mounted on the firewall directly above the controller with 2 short 8 gauge wires (1 black and 1 red) running from the controller glow input/output terminals to the solinoid. In the summer time the OEM controller does fine, but in the winter time I can let the OEM controller cycle and when it turns off the first time, hit the button and add a few extra seconds or so to the time.

To make a long story short, a 2 position spring loaded switch and a solinoid is the simplest method.

BobND
08-18-2005, 05:12
If you have bought 60-G's in the last year or two, you probably won't see "60-G" marked on them. They have a long (Bosch-looking) number.

Marking indicating origin may be Japan, Germany, or, I believe Spain, depending on the production "lot".

FARMERBOB
08-18-2005, 05:14
i run the simplest thing i could think of and that is a momentary switch mounted on the dash feeding the glow plug relay and isolating the computer with a diode