PDA

View Full Version : TV Cable ??

spitfirenut
11-29-2006, 16:36
I'm confused by the procedure for adjusting the TV cable in my 83 GMC. The TCI webpage is verbatim from my shop manual:

Step 5 Adjustments of the TV Cable on a diesel engine.
a. Adjustments are made with the engine off. If equipped with cruise control, remove the control rod.
b. Disconnect the TV Cable end from the throttle lever.
c. Loosen the locknut on the pump rod and shorten several turns.
d. Turn throttle lever to WOT and tighten the pump rod locknut.
e. Lengthen pump rod until injection pump lever contacts the full throttle stop.
f. Release the throttle lever and tighten the pump rod locknut.
g. Remove pump rod from the throttle lever.
h. Reconnect the TV Cable end to the throttle lever.
i. Press in the Adjust Tab and move Slider as shown in Figure 3.
j. Release the tab and rotate the throttle lever to WOT and the cable will self adjust itself as evidenced by a few audible clicks. Release the throttle lever and check the cable for any signs of binding or sticking.
k. Reconnect the pump rod and cruise control throttle rod, if equipped.
l. If equipped with cruise control, adjust servo throttle rod to minimum slack.
m. Road test the vehicle. Under moderate acceleration your shift points should be close to the following:
1-2

Robyn
11-30-2006, 18:05
Here it is simply
Make sure when the pedal is mashed that you have full throttle at the IP.
Release the slider on the TV cable and let it slide back some.
Mash the pedal and the cable will self adjust.
Now take the beast out a drive it.

Go for a very light throttle 1-2 upshift on flat level road, as soon as the sucker shifts mash it hard, the tranny should drop instantly to 1st again, if it does not you need more TV.
I have never seen this way fail.

Now the TPS controls the EGR and the lockup but not the shift points, shifting is totally in the TV cable.

You should be able to relocate the TPS to a very close position to original with the marks left by the bolts on the switch body

Be sure your brackets are all proper and not bent or tweeked.
The rest of the rods and such with the cruise really dont mean squat as long as the IP is wide open with the pedal mashed to the floor.

This is the way transgo instructs the techs to do it after doing a shift kit.
The 700R4 is very critical on TV. too little and the line pressure is too low and you will cook the 2-4 band real quick and the 3-4 clutches next.

The TV cable does what the modulator on the 350 and 400 does, it measures where the throttle is and adjusts throttle pressure accordingly.

The 700 is a tad light anyway so there is no room for error.
Give it a whirl and let us know

Robyn

spitfirenut
12-02-2006, 20:20
Adjusted it this afternoon, before I went to bed and it kicked down properly when I just shifted into second back to first. Thanks a bunch.
Don

Robyn
12-02-2006, 22:00
Great.
Good to hear all went well and that your back in the running.
You are welcome

Robyn

spitfirenut
12-07-2006, 20:16
I got it back from the tranny doctor today. It was still shifting high. Apparently, i didn't get the cable right quick enough after the engine swap and burned the 2nd gear band. This case has had 7 rebuilds, so I think I'll be looking for a K case and try again. Oh well.
Don

Robyn
12-08-2006, 08:52
When you get your K case box let me know and I will outline what needs to be done to make it "Bullet proof"
The 700 is not a bad little tranny but does need some mods to make it a really good box.

Most likely the damage to your 2-4 band was already done before you got the TV right.
The 2-4 band is a very weak spot unless things are done to improve the programing and the oil pressures and flow.

Robyn

trentc
09-26-2008, 12:38
Here it is simply
Make sure when the pedal is mashed that you have full throttle at the IP.
Release the slider on the TV cable and let it slide back some.
Mash the pedal and the cable will self adjust.
Now take the beast out a drive it.

Hello, I am doing the same thing and I am a bit confused also.

You mention release the slider. I have done that and do not see any adjusting taking place. I saw the same instructions the OP posted on here. It calls for "Press in the Adjust Tab and move Slider as shown in Figure 3"

I am pressing what looks like the Adjust tab in the Figure, but it does not move.

Also please clarify "Release the slider." The diagram shows it being pressed in to the rear of the vehicle. Does release by your account mean pull forward till it is loose and off the assembly?

Thanks.

Trent