PDA

View Full Version : need fsd help!

Keith Richards
08-17-2005, 16:56
Hey guys,I need some help with installing my new fsd.I purchased it a while ago from Kennedy,but then it stopped stalling for 6 months or so.Now its real bad.It will stall a bunch of times then it will run for hours,and as soon as I shut down and try to start again,it will start stalling again.Now tonight,I had a real hard time getting it started.It's in the driveway now,and this may seem dumb,but I need to know where it is located in the engine and what tools I might need(if anything special).Again I have the part but cant seem to find the one im replacing!And I cant seem to get into were all the information is on this site about the fsd,(I think my membership dues are up!)Any help is greatly appreciated.

catmandoo
08-17-2005, 18:11
it's on the drivers side of the inj pump,if you have the extension harness from kennedy you could leave it there and mount the new one either on the rad support or inner fenderwell,as for taking the old one out,you will need to remove the intake manifold.

garre1tt
08-17-2005, 18:19
Keith,
From your post it sounds like you only bought the PMD only (size of a deck of cards and black).
Most find that it is easiest to just remote mount the new one. Not a bad idea and I have put both my rigs on a remote mount cooler. I left the old ones mounted to the injection pump, which is on the front top of the engine well hidden behind the duel thermostats, AC lines and other equipment.
The connector plug and ground wire are accessible with a long screw driver and hook made from a coat hanger. Unplug to replug is 15min to an hour depending on beer breaks.
Michael D

roosterjuicer
08-18-2005, 14:31
im having the same problem. i cannot find the stock unit for the life of me, i cant even feel it much less see it. there are all kinds of wires and stuff in the way. i know all it takes is a screwdriver to get it out, but how will i know where to put the screwdriver if i cant see what im trying to unplug :confused:

what is the exact location? or does anyone have a picture or something?

JohnC
08-19-2005, 06:44
Here's the PMD as seen from the front, looking down on the injection pump. It is the black box with the bar code. The connector does not show, but is about 1/2 way down the side shown at the top (rear). There is a clip on the side under the manifold that you have to pry to the right with a thin screw driver, then the connector comes off to the rear.

http://members.aol.com/gmc65td/pmd.jpg

Keith Richards
08-20-2005, 10:58
Thank you very much guys,I will attempt to tackle tomorrow.

jspringator
08-20-2005, 12:49
Hey, I unhooked mine and remote mounted it. If I can do it, anyone can!

roosterjuicer
08-21-2005, 11:25
i unhooked mine too but now i cant plug the old wire into the new pmd/cooler because the stock wire isn't even close to long enough. anyone know anywhere i can get a short extsion?

BobND
08-21-2005, 12:49
Get some wire, heat shrink, and solder, and add whatever length you need to the exisiting harness.

roosterjuicer
08-21-2005, 15:45
yeah id still rather just buy one though.

rjwest
08-22-2005, 04:10
call kennedy..

Turbine Doc
08-22-2005, 04:21
Both Kennedy & Heath sell remote extension harnesses, once you get the PMD off of the pump, turn it over & pull off the black diamond shaped transistor covers, 2 mounting studs/nuts hold the transistor to the body, the studs/nuts carry the base leg to ground, intermittent contact there causes intermittent stalling, from oxidation & thermal growth which causes poor electrical contact, I recovered mine 3 or 4 times by retorquing them before going with the Heath remote kit which has been the best solution for me to date. See more info here: http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006671

(use caution snug them gently will break off if too much force applied, 7 INCH pounds of torqe is a good place to stop)

roosterjuicer
08-22-2005, 10:27
problem solved. heath is custom making me an 8 inch extension and shipping it overnight for me. i talked to ss diesel and kennedy neither of them were very helpful. ss basically told me to go to someone else cause they dont make an extension and kennedy makes one but its much longer and more expensive than i needed. but heath came through for me. ill definately be going to heath for my diesel needs in the future.