PDA

View Full Version : Mag Tec diff cover and mods to rear?

DA BIG ONE
11-29-2006, 17:53
A few months ago I had posted about diff lube blowin out of the vent on my 14 bolt ff.

Turns out the diff cover not only allows extra diff lube to be installed, a problem presents itself when the carrier bearings get submerged in lube, it gets tossed up and out the diff vent.

MagTac fix, block off standard vent and drill the axle tube for a new vent.

Any of you have this problem, or?

RT
11-30-2006, 20:16
One time years back my 14boltFF puked gear lube out the vent tube, a pretty good amount too. Happened towing out in Ohio and coming off the ramp to get fuel. Never happened again and I always assumed I must have caught the corner just right and somehow the thing spat the lube out. I don't have the Hytec unit but just goes to show you a stock setup will do it too.

Maybe you could add an "expansion" chamber to the vent line? Think of it like a soda can sized container with a port in the bottom and one in the top, the rest sealed. Bottom fitting to axle, top to atmosphere. When the lube burps up the vent it will enter the chamber and fill that first. Since there is far more volume in the chamber it will likely just partially fill that. Then it will drain back in when it can. Should work? Pretty easy to make with some PVC end caps and brass fittings.

RT