PDA

View Full Version : 6.2/6.5 Tech Tips - Glow plug extractor

More Power
11-30-2006, 11:49
6.2/6.5 Tech Tips
Glow Plug Removal

The glow plugs we've been using for the past several years are a much better design than those originally introduced in the 1980's for the 6.2L diesel (i.e. AC-9G). The current AC-60G and aftermarket equivalents don't swell when they fail. The AC-9G and its aftermarket equivalents would. If you have the older style plugs, and experience difficulty in removing them, this tech page is for you.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/extractor.jpg

Member Roger Paxton introduced me to his idea for a glow plug extractor a few years ago. Till then, I'd always recommended using a pair of Vise-Grips and a pry tool to remove a swollen glow plug. I would unscrew the glow plug until the threads were completely out of the cylinder head, then clamp a pair of Vise-Grips onto the hex portion of the glow plug. Then, I'd use a large screwdriver to pry against the jaws of the Vise-Grips until the glow plug came the rest of the way out. This sometimes resulted in broken glow plug tips, which meant removing the injector to extract any loose pieces.

Roger's idea works like this.... Unscrew the glow plug as far as it will go, then clamp the aluminum angle over the threads using a pair of pliers or Vise-Grips, then continue to unscrew the glow plug. The glow plug will cut new threads in the aluminum, and continue to back out of the cylinder head. By unscrewing the glow plugs, most swollen plug tips should swage down small enough to come out in one piece. Great idea!!

If you have any time saving, effort reducing, or cost cutting tricks or hints, please share them with your fellow members here in TheDieselPage.com..... Jim Bigley