PDA

View Full Version : Afflicted with Stalling in 6.5

MarilynF
10-09-2003, 14:31
I have been afflicted with stalling in my 4WD 95 6.5L since May. I put up with it until July. I sent it to my mechanic and they found that the fuel filter that I had installed the week before had some foreign matter in it (Black rubber type stuff). So they changed it. Ran good for one day. I took it back the next week and they drove it and tested it and decided to change the fuel shutoff solenoid since the obvious symptom was lack of fuel. This helped for a little while. When it started stalling again I took it back and they tested and drove and determined that the fuel driver module was the problem. Which I had been told a while back by someone that it was most likely the problem. The solenoid and the module are used. They came of of a motor that had been changed out due to problems other than fuel trouble. It seemed to help. My problem now is that it is sluggish and it has died on occasion but starts back up and gives no more trouble until yesterday as I was leaving for an appointment it just would not stay running. The weather has been very damp and heavy fog and when my husband came to see about the problem about 2 1/2 hours after the problem it cranked right up for him but he did notice a water leak at the intake where they had removed it to change out the module. I had called my mechanic and reported the trouble before my husband started it. What's a girl to do? No body seems to know what to do. My husband has a 94 6.5L that is also afflicted.

dslpwr
10-09-2003, 15:51
DID YOU CHECK OIL PRESURE SWITCH AND LIFT PUMP?
BEST WAY TO CHECK IS WITH TRUCK RUNNING OPEN THE DRAIN VALVE ( LOCATED ON THERMOSTAT HOUSING) IF TRUCK DIES OIL PRESURE SWITCH OR LIFT PUMP IS NOT WORKING.
IT WILL BE HARD TO START IF IT DIES.
ON 95 IF IT A AUTOMATIC YOU CAN PUT TRUCK IN DRIVE AND TURN KEY, LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO START IT.
IT WILL REMOVE AIR FROM LINE, DRAIN VALVE MUST BE OPEN.
YOU COULD HAVE A SECOND BAD FSD.
IT SHOULD SET CODE 35 ON 95.
YOU CAN BUY A REMOTE FSD THAT MOUNTS ON INTAKE OR UNDER TRUCK WHERE IT IS COOLER WITH OUT REMOVING INTAKE.
IT ABOUT A 30 MINUTE JOB.

ucdavis
10-09-2003, 16:15
Stalling, see:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm
Its a great checklist for this type of trouble.

Code retreival for 94/95 see:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm
then post the codes that blink at you from the dash light (& post 'no codes' if that's it) for better diagnosis.

For Service Bulletins (these have some great info on technical problems & stalling is covered to some extent): go to
http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/
and follow the links (click on the attributes corresponding to your rig: year, maker, model, engine). After clicking on 6.5 engine, choose Service Bulletins & Recalls, then Fuel Sys/Drivability. In PDF format you'll find the Service Bulletins issued on our engine.

turbovair
10-09-2003, 23:42
My 96 began stalling fairly regularly, but would restart. One day I shook/wiggled the ignition key in and out while it was idling and it died. I replaced the switch/harness assy and the problem has completely disappeared.Only cost about $140. Give it a shot.Cant hurt.

MarilynF
10-10-2003, 05:31
New lift pump was installed in January. Original LP was put on the 94 while my truck was in the shop for transmission rebuild. Should still be ok, but you never know. It has a manual transmission. I'll have to check to see if the oil pressure switch has been checked out. I know it has not been replaced.

markelectric
10-10-2003, 18:57
I am having stalling or severe missing on my 95 suburban. I am on my second Ipump in 4 months. I believe the PMD was/is bad. After a long discussion with the suplier, they admited that there is a bad batch of PMDs floating around. To get me off their list I am to get a "new pump" this time around. We will see if that cures the problem.
With a bunch of bad PMDs in the supply chain, I would try to get the one you just installed replaced under warranty.
Good luck

MarilynF
10-21-2003, 09:51
I am supposed to be getting another fuel driver module today finally. We are hoping this fixes the problem. My truck has been in the shop almost continously since July 31 and I am tired of driving my parents Dodges. I like the truck and I just want to get it reliable again. I have been reading most of the posts everyday and it is a "comfort" to know that I am not in this alone. This is a very frustrating as well as dangerous problem that most mechanics do not know how to repair. This is why my truck has stayed in the shop so much. They drive it or just let it run hoping that it will die so that they can try to figure it out from there. But, you never know when it is going to die. In my case it is at the worst possible time. Fortunatly I haven't caused an accident or caused any other problems.

RumRunneR
10-21-2003, 13:25
I know exactly what your going through...we got a '94 6.5 k2500 suburban with 120k on it. Got a great deal...the thing was loaded! Well, at 125k it start acting up...this web site was a god sent! We now have 230k and its been running great. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. My e-mail address is mbstaab@netzero.net. I can go through it with your hubby and share what we learned.

MarilynF
10-21-2003, 14:12
Thanks a lot! My husband gets more frustrated with my truck than I do and he is the one that doesn't have to do without a ride! I am going to get this thing figured out somehow. I may have been better off just replacing the injector pump, but I feel like it will cost less to find the real problem fix it and leave the pump alone. Since I cannot afford another vehicle of anykind this truck has to be fixed. My husband has a 94 3500 with the same problem, but he doesn't drive it very often because he has his 85 gas motor that he drives almost everyday. When it gets things wrong with it he can fix it pretty quick. He is pretty disgusted with diesels. He acquired the 94 a while back and put a new motor in it in January. I don't recall if the injector pump came with the motor or if he got it separatly, but it started acting up pretty quick and he and his mechanic tried everything under the sun before settling on the injector pump or associated parts that were bad. He plans on taking his truck to the Chevrolet place and telling them to keep it until it is fixed. I think this sounds way more expensive than the repairs to my truck. I feel like they will just replace or rebuild the pump and be done with it. Hopefully I will get my truck back this week and give it a try. I can't give up.

MarilynF
10-24-2003, 05:49
I am supposed to be getting my new module put on today. My mechanic has really been dragging his feet about fixing my truck, and he is a longtime friend. He had been looking for another used module to help me save money, but after two weeks he hasn't gotten one yet. My parents went yesterday to the place where we had gotten the injector pump fixed for our tractor and got a new module and wiring harness and took it to my mechanic. The parts place mentioned something about the module or the wiring harness, I don't remember which one, was a little different for automatic and manual transmissions. Mine is manual. The module that was put on my truck last month was off of a automatic transmission truck. They also mentioned that the chip should be taken out of my original module and put in the new one. I have not seen anything about the chip in any of the stuff I have been reading in TDP. What's up with that :confused: have I missed something? Will get back with an update later.

john8662
10-24-2003, 06:36
Yep, there is a "chip" its a resistor that fits inside the connector for the FSD/PMD. You want to move this with the FSD. It is the fuel calibration resistor, they range from a #1 to #9 resistor, the larger the number the more fuel is delivered. Probably a #5 if you lost the original one. But this has to be on the new FSD (the new fsd will most likely not have one with it, you have to use your old one).

tom.mcinerney
10-24-2003, 06:46
Yeah, not a logic 'chip' , a resistor , basic component goes with PMD/FSD.
On any old vehicle a new ignition switch a good idea.
On '94 years(i think, worth a check) , the battery cable connection to the starter also good to check.

MarilynF
10-27-2003, 06:20
Got my truck back finally. They got the "chip" changed and installed the new module and wiring harness late Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. I picked it up Saturday afternoon and immediatly noticed a difference from the last time I picked it up. It wasn't sluggish and ran a lot better. My husband drove it to work yesterday and I drove it this morning, and so far so good. I hope that this fixed it. I had gotten pretty gun shy about driving it. I will be keeping an update and begin checking on other concerns that I have with this truck. Hopefully the main concern is taken care of.