PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Info on Conversion of BB to Diesel

testpilot
12-01-2006, 15:58
I have a 1987 2WD 3/4 ton Chevy 454/TH400 and am considering converting it to Diesel. I have no problem going with a 6.5L T/D as I have experience with this engine on a 97 Crew Cab. Anyone ever done this before? Could you point me to a link?

Thanks

Craig M
12-01-2006, 16:55
6.2/6.5 diesel engine will bolt right in. Should get a diesel stall speed converter for the Th400. Will need a return fuel line to the fuel tank. Recommend a manual button switch for the glow plugs. Battery box for the second battery, along with associated cables. If you get an older 6.2/6.5 you will not have any significant electrical issues. If your donor diesel engine is from a "newer" model (94 and up), then you will have a few more issues to address. You did not state the rear end ratio of your 87, most likely 4.10. The TH400 does not have an overdrive, so high top end speeds will have the engine revving (sp) at a relatively high speed. 700R4 transmission and gear vendors overdrive have been used by those of us that want higher speed with reasonable fuel mileage and lower rpm's.

testpilot
12-01-2006, 21:31
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.
I believe the rear end ratio is 3.73:1 now. I had been looking into the Gear Vendors overdrive unit because of the ability to split shift (essentially 6 forward speeds), but a beefed up 700R4 would work as well. I have access to an 86 6.2 with 30K miles. I was considering building up (or having built up) a properly configured new 6.5L along the lines of some listed on these pages.

DA BIG ONE
12-02-2006, 03:32
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.
I believe the rear end ratio is 3.73:1 now. I had been looking into the Gear Vendors overdrive unit because of the ability to split shift (essentially 6 forward speeds), but a beefed up 700R4 would work as well. I have access to an 86 6.2 with 30K miles. I was considering building up (or having built up) a properly configured new 6.5L along the lines of some listed on these pages.

33" tires will work nicely w/3.73 and a 700r4's low 1st gear + your mpgs should increase too.

gmctd
12-03-2006, 09:18
GM ran the 4L60E behind the 1500 "S" 6.5TD one year - 1994 - then dumped the option for the 4L80E.

Better option for you may be the '91-'93 4L80E with the factory stand-alone TCM, which came behind the '92-'93 mech injected 6.5TD - control is via the TPS sensor on the DB2 Inj Pump, harness and all sensors are GM factory items.

If you go the T400 route, the D4 torque convertor behind the big block is same D4 convertor behind the 6.2\6.5 Diesel, furnace brazing, and all.

Easy to drill the two orifices in the spacer for firm shifts, as the B&M and other shift kits include the dk gray regulator spring outta the Diesel T400.

My '89 had plastic accumulator pistons, which I replaced with the earlier aluminum versions.

Dodge had a D6 or D8 convertor built for use behind the Cummins, so, working with a local transmission shop here, I had a very low stall convertor built for instant hookup with the 4.10 gears in my rig - only problem was absolutely no engine braking.

The aggressive vane-angles required for good low-rpm hookup allowed too much reverse-flow slip - sucker would almost idle at 45mph decelerating.

I used Brown-lite 3-sp aux o\d transmission to get the hiway rpms down - final eff ratio was 2.99.