PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase my first 6.5TD - what to look for?

coinball
12-01-2006, 16:32
I'm ready to purchase a '95 Tahoe 6.5TD w/ 101,000 on the clock. The truck is in great shape, as for the engine I'm not 100% sure what to look for. I'm a huge gearhead, but I don't know jack about diesels...other than how they operate...so be gentle.

I'm out in Michigan for school at the moment so I haven't driven the vehicle (which is back in PA), but my brother got some up close pics and test drove it for me, and he didn't notice any issues while driving it.

I know I'm going to check the shaft play on the turbo cause I noticed some oil seepage on the turbo-intake manifold coupler, so I'm guessing the oil seal on the compressor wheel is shot. That was about all I noticed that was out of the ordinary.

So what else should I look at?

Thanks!

Robyn
12-01-2006, 17:54
The oil seepage on the intake coupler is most likely due to the oil vapor pull over from the crankcase and this is normal. Do check the shaft but the slobber is very normal as long as its not running out.

The seal on the compressor wheel is a set of piston type rings that fit intogrooves in the shaft.
My Sub had 240K on the original turbo and it was still in great shape.
The CDR which is the can on the right valve cover can be the cause of excess oil pull over.

Ask the original owner if the Injector pump has been replaced. Smell the tranny oil and see if it sweet or burnt. Its should of course be red.
The rest of the stuff are pretty much basic how to buy a used truck.
The 95 6.5's have had issues with the PMD which is the driver that runs the electronic injection pump.
Its the cigarette pack sized black box on the drivers side of the IP.
Look for any other things such as oil pressure and check for excessive pressure in the cooling system. If these critters get a leaky head gasket they can over pressure the cooling system and cause coolant to puke from the fill bottle up on the right side of the firewall.

When you go to drive it, ask the seller to leave it cold so you can see how well it starts cold.
Drive it untill warm, after its warm the power levels should be good and with little to no visible black smoke out the back when you stomp it once the turbo spools up.
If the thing pours out black smoke this is a good bargaining chip and can usually be fixed easily.

Hope this helps
Robyn

coinball
12-01-2006, 18:56
Robyn - Thanks for the tips!

I do know that the PMD is the original, but I believe the FSD (is this a solenoid on the IP?) was replaced. The current owner says he has not had any issues that would point to the PMD, LP or OPS. But I do plan to replace them all as preventive maintenance (and add a PMD cooler) if I do indeed purchase the Tahoe.

He did mention some cold start roughness, which I'm guessing is either a glow plug issues (probably originals) or bad injectors I'm guessing.

Robyn
12-01-2006, 19:35
That sounds about right.
Set of squirts and glow sticks should do it.

chrisk1500
12-03-2006, 13:44
I do know that the PMD is the original, but I believe the FSD (is this a solenoid on the IP?) was replaced.

The PMD and the FSD are the same thing.....