PDA

View Full Version : 97+ Airbox install, what about the resonator?

john8662
01-09-2004, 09:05
I've installed the 97+ Airbox in my 95 k2500 burb that I got out of a salvage yard, tough find, but I managed. I cleaned the box out (it came with all the pieces) and pulled the old square filter box out. Anyways, I almost have the box installed, and everything bolted and mounted to it. My problem lies in where and how to mount the resonator for the intake-turbo that comes with the new airbox. It looks like I will have to fashon some kind of bracket to mount the tube. I was just curious if someone had encountered this, or just omitted the tube. If you have gotten it to mount, got a picture of it? It looks like I would have to angle it up a little from being perfectly horizontal because otherwise it comes a little too close to the engine fan. Thanks!

Truenorth
01-09-2004, 09:36
1997 came with a mass air flow sensor that was installed after the air box and the resonator. Don't ask me why a diesel has a MAF sensor but I have a 97 and I have one??

john8662
01-09-2004, 11:01
I think the L56 6.5's in 97+ have the MAF. The L65 6.5's don't. It was done to supposedly get better emissions for the 1/2 ton trucks, fuel economy, cleaner burn (supposedly).

Still looking for those that converted from the 92-96 panel filter to the round filter style airbox and used the resonator.

Bobbie Martin
01-09-2004, 12:30
I did the conversion on our 95 Suburban. I can tell you the resonator reduces intake noise A LOT! I suggest you install it. You do have to angle it just a bit, but it clears the fan with no problems. There is a unused threaded (metric threads, by the way) tab on the thermostat housing you can bolt the tube to. When I had the single thermostat crossover, I made a spacer on my lathe but you could use some washers to do the same thing. When I changed to the double thermostat, the tab is in a different place and all I had to do was make a small bracket from some 1" flat bar. I will try and post a picture if you want.

john8662
01-09-2004, 14:23
Bobbie,

Thanks for the reply, thats what I was thinking as I have the dual thermostat upgrade as well. I'll make a bracket out of some 1" strap as you suggested. Other than the resonator, good fit, all I had to do was tweak the airconditioner line coming out of the firewall near the box. It was in the way from getting the clip to fasten on top of the box. Tons of plumbing on a burb with rear air and heat.

Bobbie Martin
01-09-2004, 14:41
Here is a picture of mine. Also check the hose to the overflow tank - sometimes the hood hinge will hit it as the hood closes. http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/40/40448/pages/239390/Resinator.jpg
Click here for more pics! (http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=62371&ck=)

john8662
01-09-2004, 18:28
Bobbie,

Cool, thanks for the picture. I like that you mounted your water drain valve on the strap too. I was wondering what do to with mine, thinking of moving it. If its placed on the strap it will bolt on better moved further away from the oil filler tube. When doing the HO waterpump upgrade and dual stats, the water in fuel drain wasn't pointed in the right direction with the bracket, I mounted it on the crossover, but the hoses had to be supported to keep them out of the drive belts. Thanks for your help!