PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Gmc 2500 6.5l 4x4

Saus
12-02-2006, 08:20
I am in need of some help!! I am thinking of buying a 1993 GMC 2500 6.5L 4x4 with 132,000 miles on it. The seller wants $5,200.00 for the truck. Vin is 1GTGK24F2PE513928. I am fairly new with diesels and this forum so I don't know if this is a good machine or even what to look for when I test drive it. I currently have a 6.2L 3500 an have had no problems with that. I hope that this truck if I buy it will treat me as good. If any one could give me the good or bad of these trucks i would appriciate it greatly. Thank you in advance for any help/info you can provide me.

Robyn
12-02-2006, 10:18
The 93 was the last year for the mechanical injection pumps on the 6.5
They are a good rig and if the truck has been taken care of the price is not bad.
Condition is everything, mileage means nothing.
I just bought a 91 Burb with a 6.2 and 194K on the clock. The interior is like new.

The overall condition of the truck is the most important, sure its nice if the engine runs great and the tranny works good too but the mechanical things can be fixed with relative ease compared to upholstery and the body.

Check the thing out and insist on driving it at least 10-15 miles to warm it up real good. Look under the truck for the obvious like leaks and such.
Take note if the coolant tank on the right firewall shows signs of overflow.
If the engine has leaky head gasket/gaskets the system can be over pressured and blow the coolant out and it will be obvious.
Look at the oil pressure running. 40psi appox Idle 10-20 psi.

When you go to look at it make sure you get to start it from DEAD COLD
This will let you know if it has any cold start issues.
Try the tranny when its first started to see if it will drop into drive and reverse quickly as it should, some times with high miles the tranny can be a little slow to engage when cold.
This is in and of itself is not a reason to run screaming, but can be a bargaining chip.

Once out on the road, how does it shift, all the ranges work? including the lockup (Auto) ? the transfer case engage properly and the front axle thermal actuator work and the thing run without ominous noises.

Running down the road is there large amounts of black smoke out the back under load? It should maybe produce a little then clear as the turbo spools up.
Power seem normal?

Hey its really no different than your 6.2 just has a couple more cubes and a turbo is all.

Hope this helps
Robyn

Saus
12-02-2006, 11:28
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! It seems to be in pretty good shape. Seems to have just a little bit of rust by the cab corners, but overall looks pretty good. Truck is pretty basic as far as options other than automatic trans and a/c. Price seems pretty fair to you? I hope to test drive it sometime tomorrow. I guess we'll see then. thanks again for the help!:D

JohnC
12-02-2006, 15:47
Price is too high!

I couldn't sell my '93 4 years ago for that price with less than half the mileage!

Robyn
12-02-2006, 18:09
I based my asessment as to price on west coast values and what rigs will sell for here in the Portland area.

Saus
12-03-2006, 12:57
what price do you think I should buy it for?:confused:

Robyn
12-03-2006, 21:25
Always as cheap as you can :0) :0) :0)
Without insulting the fellow

Saus
12-04-2006, 09:30
:confused: After test driving the truck i was a little bumbed out. Had high hopes for buying the truck. when I drove it I noticed the following things:
1) Truck made a loud humming or vibrating noice when I was idling at a stop sign and it smelled like there was a rats nest in the heater.
2) Rode pretty rough, but the 20 degree weather could played a part in that.
3) The Drivers side door rattled like all of the screws fell out of the door and the door handle was comming off.
4) Seemed to shift okay and had some power when i punched it. Black smoke poured out of the tail pipe until i let off.
5) The parts under the hood like brake lines and mounting brackets were pretty rusty and he use to use it for plowing snow. and their was a lot of parts oiled down. Didn't look like coolant had overflown.

This guy wants me to make him an offer. I told him I would like to know his bottom dollar because i didn't want to offend him. He told me just to think about it and make him an offer in the next couple of days. He does have the truck on e-bay and if I don't make a good offer, I think he is going to try to sell it there. What do you think I should do??:confused: should i let it go and look for a different truck or does this sound like fixable problems???:o If you want to see the truck I am talking about it is on e-bay listed as item number 200052645703.

Thank you very much for all of your help!!!

Mark Rinker
12-04-2006, 09:44
Sounds like a $1000/$1500 truck to me.

IUPAC
12-07-2006, 10:44
I would never buy a truck that was used to plow snow, especially one with IFS. If the truck only has 132,000 mi and is in that bad of shape, just walk away.

Saus
12-07-2006, 12:33
I am passing on this truck. Just seems like too much work. I was hoping to get a deal on a decent truck. Any one know where to get a decent diesel work truck...I cannot find one in ohio for under 5500.00. Thank you all for the help. You probably saved me a ton of money by guiding me through this!!!!!:D

davidstereo
12-14-2006, 16:03
I have a 93 that i have redone and want to buy a newer one with four doors. email me if you are interested. I live in louisville ky. Has new GM motor, rebuilt transmission, new carpet in cab, new headliner, bedliner, new front end, tool box, nice stereo, michelin tires, very nice truck have had all of the maintenance done within the last month. Just put new oil pressure switch, relay, and lift pump and new fuel filter two weeks ago. Runs perfect now. Just let me know.

Saus
12-15-2006, 12:49
can you tell me a little more about your truck? is it mechanical (like the 93) or electric (94-newer). How many miles, any rust, regular cab or ext. cab??? Price???:confused: Thanks in advance....

davidstereo
12-15-2006, 15:05
My truck is the extended cab. There is a small rust spot on the passenger side under the door of the truck only surface though. 200 dollars will fix it and paint it. The truck has around 170,000 miles but the engine has about 20,000, and the rebuilt transmission has about the same. The front end only has about 1,000 miles on it only thing that I would replace is the shocks and springs. They are in fine condition as is but as a daily driver truck new shocks are smoother than 14 year old shocks, I am really picky about my cars. The truck is a 93 all 93's are mechanical, unless modified after date of manufacture, the truck drives very strong and doesn't smoke at all. I just had it taken to diesel injection service department here in louisville and had the whole truck looked over. They really got into everything part of the truck they took the turbo apart and tested it, checked fuel lines, checked all engine seals, changed all of the fluids, checked injector pump, it cost 250 dollars to get this done. The truck passed with flying colors. The mechanic said it was one of the strongest mechanically he's seen, that old, in a while. The paint is nice and shinny the hood is a little dull though. I can send you pics if you're interested. just send me your e-mail or you can email me theilend@hotmail.com.