PDA

View Full Version : Time for the winter cover?

Quack_Addict
12-04-2006, 09:26
My truck is a 2006 with the LBZ/Allison. My wife and I were going out for dinner last night and the outside temperature was about 20*F. After letting the engine warm up at idle for almost 10 minutes, we drove about a mile to the expressway entrance. It took about 2 miles for the transmission to shift into 6'th gear after we got on the highway and we were just starting to get decent heat when we pulled into the restaurant which is about 6 or 7 miles from home.

Is it time for the winter cover? I won't be towing with the truck until late spring but will be hauling the occasional load in the bed.

Mark Rinker
12-04-2006, 09:47
In the 'teens of the truck is not loaded, wouldn't use one until below zero conditions if towing. Just my opinion, not GM instructions.

More Power
12-05-2006, 16:41
Like what Mark said.. I'd not use the grille cover if towing. But otherwise, if it takes more than 3-4 miles of driving before you get heat in the cab, put on the wrap... :) 3-5 miles of driving during the winter is typical for the Allison to get warm enough to lock the torque converter. This delayed TC lockup strategy is there to help hasten warmup.

Jim

WILLYD-MAX
12-05-2006, 17:03
On my 05 when driving empty at 20 degrees the gauge sits barely half way between 150 to 210. I was thinking that I might get a little better milage with a cold front on. I was thinking a Lund with the individual snap in pieces. Any thots.?I have used the Lund on another truck and it worked good.

beeler
12-06-2006, 16:36
My '02 is like WILLYDs. If I want heat when the temp is below 30f or so I put the grill cover on. No worrys with it on running empty up to 50 degrees or so.

colt49
12-06-2006, 16:50
I put my winter cover on at 20 above when it goes down from that. I consider how cold it is in the front at 65 mph and the outside temp is 20 above and humidity is 20% for example. I know it warms up real nice with the cover compared to no cover. I guess compare it to bein on a snow machine at 65 mph or skiing in similar outside temps. you know how cold it is on the face and fingers. Too cold for me I'll take the inside of the cab and the heater going instead. Just a chillin thought.

wolowic1
12-06-2006, 17:59
On my 2001 2500HD LT Duramax / Allison crew cab 4X4, 60,000 trouble free miles---I run just the grill cover from around Thanksgiving time until around mid-March or so here about 1 hour north of Chicago. I ONLY use the grill cover and have never used that butt-ugly bumper cover that came with it. I wouldn't use the grill cover if I towed unless very cold outside, but I only tow in the summer so it's not an issue with me. I have never even come close to over-heating with temps occassionally in the 50's, but obviously it's normally much colder than that around here from late November thru March. I kept a very close eye on the temp gauge the first couple years I had this truck and had this cover on when the temp outside occassionally crept up---now I know it's a non-issue without a load on the motor. I can also tell you that these covers are much easier to put on when it's not bitter cold outside unless you have it inside a heated garage.

chrisinkanata
12-09-2006, 07:36
If you take the covers and soak them in a bucket of hot water for a few minutes, they go on no problem at all.....

Chris

Kennedy
12-11-2006, 08:38
I have one of the stainless insert grille covers and I generally put it in when temps drop below freezing and leave it in. I haven't done this yet as I hope to polish it so that it releases dirt and salt more easily. I don't fret having it in on an occasional 50