PDA

View Full Version : numbers of a 6.2l ?

moody
12-05-2006, 14:01
OK got the 6.2 l military take out engine off the pallet and onto a stand.
First off heads have the ports at the back for cooling. Ihad thought those were only on the 6.5l engines. Do I have 6.5 heads?

block has a number "14022660" at the back on the driver side, a "88" in the center at the back and "3*cpo" in the valley. If any one can tell me what type of block this is it will help a lot.

I would love to take the valve covers off to find the numbers on the heads but i will not get back to this job before the new year and don't want it sitting torn apart and exposed to the weether.

Any thing any one can tell me about what I have hear would be great.

Yukon6.2
12-05-2006, 21:37
Hi
There should be the last three didgits of the head number in the middle of the head between the injectors.The cooling ports or there so the heads are interchangable from side to side.

moody
12-06-2006, 13:39
Right. Thanks for the inforamtion. i'll take a look for numbers on the heads next week when I get home.

arveetek
12-06-2006, 16:38
660 is a 6.2L block, they used that number for several years. All 6.2L and 6.5L engines have the extra cooling ports on the back of the heads, just as Yukon said, so the heads can be swapped from left to right. Most of the time there are simply block-off plates covering the ports, while sometimes there is a coolant temp switch located on one side or the other, and on some of the older engines, there's a glow plug controller in the driver's side port.

Casey

moody
12-06-2006, 19:18
I just was suprised to see the ports blocked off. I could bot see the ones on the 6.2 I have in the truck but now I belive that there must be cables across them.

I was in a rush to get back to work so I typed before I researched.