PDA

View Full Version : Which Glow Plugs to go with

seth_95
12-07-2006, 01:58
I have a 1995 4x4 6.5 vin F and I am wanting to replace the glow plugs, I see people saying the 60G's, John Kennedy's Quick Heats, or SS Diesel supply Instant Heats. Which one do I go with. Who has had the best luck with one of these. I am starting and stopping a lot. The temps here get 0 to 10 in the winter and 95-105 in the summer. Just a wondering, let me know.

DmaxMaverick
12-07-2006, 02:28
I have no experience with SSD's plugs, but he has quality products and stands behind them. JK's quick heats are top notch. There was a period when he had a bad lot of them, but that has passed. I have sets from before and after, and they are excellent.

60G's are about as bulletproof as you can get with a glow plug. They last a long time, and don't swell when they fail (like 9G's), but they don't get near as hot as any previous G plug, or JK quick heats. The require a longer glow time than any other, too, which means a little modification to your glow controller, or an addition of a manual switch. Even at optimal glow time, they are still not as hot as the others. 0-10

Dvldog8793
12-07-2006, 08:07
Howdy
I have had the quick heats for about 3yrs(100kmiles) and NO problems. They work great and my temps a CONSIDERABLY colder (-13F* right now). Never had a problem....

L8r
Conley

seth_95
12-07-2006, 14:43
Thanks for the info. Should I replace the glowplug controller at the same time?

Dvldog8793
12-07-2006, 17:04
Howdy
If the glows are cycleing properly then I don't think I would change the controler. Give the wiring harness a real good inspection. The wires will crack/corrode over time and the glows don't get enough juice. Don't try to splice or repair the harness, if it looks marginal then replace it. Drivers side is easy, Passenger side needs to be done through the wheel well. Have fun!
L8r
Conley