PDA

View Full Version : Which injectors to buy.

glivingstone
12-07-2006, 06:24
Guys I am looking at replacing my injectors and glow plugs, can anyone advise on which are the best quality or which ones to avoid?
Also considering the performance/marine injectors, can anyone advise if these do actually improve performance?
Cheers

Dvldog8793
12-08-2006, 07:55
I have the JK highpops(125,000) in now and have a set of rebuilt(locally) Marine spec injectors waiting to go in. I can't say if the performance improved as I did many modifications at the same time. What I can tell you is that I would buy them from someone that you know and trust, or locally with a diesel shop. I would probably stay away from some of the Ebay places. Find your self an injector socket(or make one). Do a search on replaceing the injectors and you will find LOTS of good timesaving/bloodsaving info.
L8r
Conley

Robyn
12-08-2006, 10:25
Good advice
I bought my last set from a local rebuilder that has a good reputation in the area.
I had him set the pop to the very upper end of the spec.
I dont know if that is what the folks call "High pops" but they work good and the little 6.5 rat rattles real good.

Not really on the subject, but I was helping a local with a rough idle on a 6.5. what we found was that the injector set he used had a couple of really high pops and two that were much lower.
The engine ran fine down the road but was a tad shakey at idle.
We got the odd ducks fixed and all was well again.

QC on this stuff is critical.
I would always have the builder make sure the set you get are very close and to the high side of the spec.

Good luck
Robyn

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-08-2006, 10:56
I put the marine performance in my truck and yes I did notice a definite difference in power, and also better mileage:confused:

TurboDiverArt
12-08-2006, 14:50
I put the marine performance in my truck and yes I did notice a definite difference in power, and also better mileage:confused:
Where did you get the marine's from?

Art.

Dvldog8793
12-08-2006, 15:32
Art-
I got my marines from a local shop that took Bosch injectors and rebuilt them to the listed Bosch spec for marine injectors. He had to do some digging to find the spec but once he did it was a simple deal and he didn't charge me any extra. I am not sure what the difference is but he seemed to think that they would be pretty HiPo. He also pop matched the set for me so that they all with a small range of error. I will be installing these next month after the holidays. Gotta get my Caprice running again to, so maybe it will be Feb......and the list goes on on on on on on
L8r
Conley

AndyL
12-08-2006, 16:57
I'd continue to argue high flow injectors don't offer any performance increase.

The 6.5 IP is like a Syringe, for example: Fill the syringe with 50mm^3, and when you squeeze it out it don't mater how big the exit nozzle is, only 50mm^3 is gonna come out!

Sure would like to see it tested though!

JeffsTowTruck
12-09-2006, 05:30
What is a TELL TELL sign you need injectors. I don't have any problems but the increase in power sounds good. Is it worth it to just replace them for more power?
I'll bet mine are still the original ones.

TurboDiverArt
12-10-2006, 20:57
What is a TELL TELL sign you need injectors. I don't have any problems but the increase in power sounds good. Is it worth it to just replace them for more power?
I'll bet mine are still the original ones.
I'm basing my need to change them purely based on age. I know I have at least 100K on this set. I figure that at 190K on the clock and me expecting to get at least 300K out of my truck I might as well change them now since I know I won't make it to 300K without changing them at least one more time. Better now than later. If I can maybe get a little more MPG by installing new ones I might as well do it. The previous owner told me the injectors were changed out at about 70K-80K when the IP was changed.

Art.

glivingstone
12-11-2006, 04:37
Thanks guys, I'm looking at changing the injectors as my truck has 180000Ks on it and I am looking for a little more power towing 3 horses.
I've been looking at the Stage 1 Performance Upgrade on the Heath Diesel site (upgraded PCM and Turbo-Master controller), has anyone fitted these and do they really work?

Scooby
12-11-2006, 04:54
I have both the turbomaster and Heath's PCM, and they work very well. You will have a different truck once you install the PCM. I would HIGHLY recommend boost and egt gauges, and a bigger exhaust is really a must to get the most from the upgrades.

cudaaa
12-11-2006, 07:58
I have Heaths equipment for a couple of years with no problems & thought it was great! I just installed his high flow injectors I wish I would of installed them sooner they just compleated the package no regrets at all! I don't think you can go wrong with Heath or Kennedys Equipment. Hope this helps.

Dvldog8793
12-11-2006, 12:07
Howdy
I have the heath equipment right now. PCM, Turbomaster,No vac pump, and 3.5 exhaust with intercooler. I have had parts and controls from Kennedy also. BOTH of them are great people to deal with and are very helpfull and honest. The Heath set up that I have right now is pretty good but with my old engine I had the Phaser timing gears and they DO make a difference.
Now that the warrenty is over for my engine I WILL be installing a set of gears when I replace my injectors.
If you are using a Turbomaster for control of the wastegate then there is no need for the vac pump. I am not sure how much power it takes to run it but it does take something .....
L8r
Conley

TurboDiverArt
12-11-2006, 12:14
Howdy
If you are using a Turbomaster for control of the wastegate then there is no need for the vac pump. I am not sure how much power it takes to run it but it does take something .....
L8r
Conley
Did you just unbolt the pump from the engine and pull out the vacuum line and put on a 1993 serpentine belt? I think that's the correct belt people say to use.

I just have mine plugged up right now but I have been wanting to get rid of it all together. Now that I think about it, I should probably unplug the vacuum line. If the pump is not able to produce vacuum it

Dvldog8793
12-11-2006, 14:21
Not sure of the exact belt but I can find the numbers later.I know it was NOT the one everyone says, I think the 1999 and 2000 trucks have a diffenmrt pulley someplace and that changes eveything...
I just removed the pump from the bracket and pulled all the lines. The Heath ECM did not through any codes, supposedly the stock ECM might through a code if the vac soleniod isn't getting vac.
L8r
Conley

6.5 Detroit Diesel
12-12-2006, 18:30
Yes it will be the same volume that will come out, but in what form will the volume be moved? A finer mist that is easier to ignite? Yes

AndyL
12-12-2006, 18:36
Yes it will be the same volume that will come out, but in what form will the volume be moved? A finer mist that is easier to ignite? Yes

There are 4 basic types of injectors:

1. Standard
2. High Pop
3. High flow
4. High pop and hi flow

Only high pop offer the possibility of a finer mist.