PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 turbo 94 wont run

townsen
12-07-2006, 12:56
i have a 94 6.5 turbo, it has been running fine and then it just stalled. it will start and run for about 2 seconds and shut off. i have checked the lift pump and it is fine, i have substituted in a good pmd and same problem. changed fuel filters and bled system. this morning i jumped the fuel shutoff solenoid and it will run. i have checked all the fuses and they are still good. i think it is the ignition switch. it acts like and old chevy that only runs in the start position when the resistor burns out. any suggestions? grounds? thanks rob p.s there are no codes except 12 which should mean that the computer is ok.

rameye
12-07-2006, 14:54
curious how did you verify the lift pump is OK?...sounds fuel related

townsen
12-07-2006, 15:04
tested volume and pressure, when i have the fuel shut off solenoid jumped it runs just fine thanks rob

baddiesel
12-07-2006, 15:45
sounds fuel related but check your grounds,back of passenger head and so on. batttery connections.

townsen
12-07-2006, 15:49
curious, why do you think fuel related? it runs just fine with the shut off solenoid to the ip jumped, i will definately check the grounds thanks for your suggestion rob

rameye
12-07-2006, 15:59
OK so to be clear..it runs just terrific when you open the fuel solenoid via an external power source...is that correct?

rameye
12-07-2006, 16:02
also ...did you verify pressure with the motor running....

could be fuel related because there are 2 fuel delivery circuits..one when it cranks the other driven off the OPS when its running...so just because its in crank mode (I'm assuming seeing as it wont run) that doesnt mean you are getting fuel when it runs..

townsen
12-07-2006, 16:03
correct, i believe it to be the igition switch. i looked at the diagram and it is two different circuits when in start and then to run. just curious if there could be another cause thanks rob

rameye
12-07-2006, 16:18
I think you've got it nailed...if you open that solenoid with direct voltage and all is well, then it sounds like its in the circuit that feeds that solenoid...which these trucks have been known to eat a switch here or there.

I'll take a 50% on that one ..no fuel due to inoperative solenoid!

good luck, now figure out whats wrong with my junk! read the rebuilt IP thread..aggravation city!

take care

townsen
12-08-2006, 12:23
update. i replaced the switch this morning, no change. i am going to go through the wiring in the morning. any suggestions? thanks rob:confused:

JohnC
12-08-2006, 16:50
Uh, did you check the fuse?

rameye
12-08-2006, 16:53
keep at it...its somewhere between wherre the plug is and where it gets power...

start tracing the line..

John C could be on to something..

townsen
12-08-2006, 17:54
yes i checked all the fuses with a test light, but good suggestion you never know thanks rob

rameye
12-08-2006, 19:13
maybe time for a wiring diagram...

in the mean time I would run a fused wired from my fuse panel from an ignition powered fuse to the solenoid and use the truck till i got a diagram and then chase it down.

I have all the 95 books...(not helping me right now) maybe I could e-mail you the diagram...it might help..might be different also.

townsen
12-11-2006, 14:52
solved it, bad ground. thanks for your help and suggestions thanks rob